What Do You Do When The Law Of Attraction Doesn’t Work?

What do you do when the Law of Attraction doesn’t work? Well, that’s a bit of a trick question. You see; The Law of Attraction always works! You always get what you are focusing on.

“But I wasn’t’ focusing on attracting this rotten cold,” I respond, vehemently. And yet, the fact that I have had this cold for four full days tells me that I was, at some level, focused on getting a cold. I could not have attracted this cold into my life if I had not been focused on it.

Certainly I was not going around thinking thoughts like, “Gee, wouldn’t it be great to have a cold for a few days.”

What I was thinking and feeling was something more along the lines of, “I could use a bit of a break, these past few weeks have been pretty darned chaotic and I feel like I still haven’t stepped off that treadmill. In fact, it feels like I’m spinning my wheels quite a bit and not getting a whole lot done.”

I was thinking those thoughts, and feeling a pretty strong emotional connection to my desire for a break, and yet I was not acting on those thoughts and feelings. Instead I continued to plow along with my work, running around on that treadmill, doing my best to ignore that part of me that was asking for a break.

But the Universe wasn’t ignoring that part of me. The Universe clearly heard my call for a break and responded beautifully by arranging for me to “catch this cold.”

I wasn’t asking for a cold; I was asking for a break. But I wasn’t taking a break, so the Universe worked its magic in a manner that I would “listen to.”

So when you look at your life and think, “This Law of Attraction stuff doesn’t work. I wasn’t asking to bounce this check or get into this accident, or catch this cold, or whatever it is.” take a moment to ask yourself what you are really asking for that the Universe is responding to.

The Law of Attraction always works. We always get what we focus on. You can fight it, or you can accept it. But the sooner you accept it, the sooner you can begin to Deliberately Create your life and your world.

I’ve got a lot more to say about this topic, but I’m sick and I need a break right now!

So if you want some more thoughts on this topic, Steve Johnson, over at the Fast Lane, has a couple of good entries to explore. This one is a good place to start: Why the Law of Attraction may not be working for you.

12 Responses to “What Do You Do When The Law Of Attraction Doesn’t Work?”

1. Steve Johnson on November 10th, 2006 10:59 am

Ed, you are so right in what you’ve said. (Thanks for the mention, btw)

It’s far easier to play the victim than to accept the responsibility that, yes, you DID attract this into your life. That is the biggest stumbling block for many people when it comes to believing whether the LOA works or it doesn’t.

If one of your basic beliefs is that life is chaotic and there is no purpose, reason, or cause connected with events, then you will never accept that you have some measure of control over those events.

If, on the other hand, you believe that there is purpose or meaning for every event in your life, or some cause, however hidden, then you begin to look for the possibility that you can exert some control over those circumstances. THAT is when the light comes on–maybe dimly at first–and you begin to hope that maybe, just maybe, there is a way to better your life.

Then you see that there is always creation. You can begin to take control of your life when you realize that the creation is only accidental because you haven’t known about it. You find you can deliberately create your life, if you want to. What you choose to do with that knowledge is entirely up to you.

Sorry, Ed–this comment was a post in itself! It’s your fault, though–you blew air on my fire 🙂

2. Edward Mills on November 13th, 2006 7:59 am

Perfectly said, Steve. I’m glad I blew air on your fire. Think I might try to do it more often, if this is the great reaction!

Take care

ed

3. David on November 14th, 2006 7:51 am

Steve and Ed- Becoming skilled at incorporating the LOA into ones life is as important as understanding its value. Most people have no idea what they are thinking. (I do not intend this as patronizing or condescending. I also fall into that category) So, believing in the LOA is like believing in Enlightenment. It’s only a first step. What are the details, I want to know? What are the stumbling blocks? How does one overcome them? What are the practices which enable one to become aware of the subconsious goals which are causing bad things to happen in one’s life, like getting a cold, or ending up in a concentration camp during WWII, or being in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11?

4. Steve Johnson on November 14th, 2006 9:52 am

David, I think it’s a lifelong process. You’re right–most people haven’t the faintest idea what they’re thinking, because until they’ve made a discovery such as the LOA, they have no reason to examine their thought process.

There are a lot of books on LOA, the ones I recommend most highly are “Ask And It Is Given”, by Esther Hicks, and “The Power Of Intention” by Dr. Wayne Dyer. Those will get you started. I would also recommend that you watch the movie, The Secret, available at thesecret.tv (I think that’s the address).

As for the last questions you ask, about WWII and the WTC, the answers are far beyond my current comprehension!

5. Edward Mills on November 14th, 2006 10:04 am

Hi David

Yes, believing in the Law of Attraction is absolutely just a first step. But, in my opinion, it is an extremely powerful first step. When you decide that you are the creator of your life experience, you take your life into your hands. This process of reclaiming creative control of your life is what the Law of Attraction is all about. Your questions are all valid and many of them are answered in the books Steve mentioned – especially the processes in Ask and It Is Given. I would also add Lynn Grabhorn’s book Excuse Me Your Life is Waiting as another good step into the LOA.

As for your bigger questions about WWII and 9/11, the answers are beyond the scope of this comment but they begin to touch upon the relationship between individual and collective co-creation. As individuals we cannot ever know how another person is vibrating. We cannot know why someone who we might have considered a Deliberate Creator would have been drawn to the towers on 9/11. Perhaps their presence there on that day served to calm and inspire others and bring some peace to the chaos that must have existed within those towers.

And for a powerful exploration of how Deliberate Creators deal with seemingly horrific external events I highly recommend Victor Frankl’s book, Man’s Search For Meaning.

I hope this helps a bit.

Take care

ed

6. David on November 14th, 2006 9:12 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. Well done.

Ed, when you mentioned collective co-creation, it reminded me of the idea of psycho-history, a theory of mass psychology which flourished in Austria in the 80’s. We are all caought in huge webs of thoughts.

It seems these concepts are not that far from what Buddhism strives for, which is to create the path of loving kindness by knowing and directing your intentions.

7. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2006 9:28 am

David

I’d be interested in hearing more about the idea of psycho-history. Do you have a recommended resource?

ed

8. Evolving Times » Another Look At Why The Law Of Attraction Might Not Work on February 19th, 2007 2:12 pm

[…] I’ve written before about What You Can Do When The Law Of Attraction Doesn’t Work. […]

9. Michael Manjin on February 19th, 2007 10:24 pm

ED, you are right…. “I feel it is everyone’s right and responsibility to be the best that they can be” The Law of Attraction always works. You can fight it, or you can accept it. But the sooner you accept it, the sooner you can begin to Deliberately Create your life and your world.

10. Raymond on August 14th, 2007 3:39 am

Right. Most of the time we attract stuffs that we don’t want unconsciously and wonder why it happens to us.

11. Edward Mills on August 14th, 2007 9:00 pm

You’re right on Raymond. But once we accept that we are the creator of our own life, all of it, we may still wonder how we attracted something into our life but we no longer wonder IF we attracted it!

12. Jonathan on December 13th, 2007 1:20 pm

Over 10 years ago, I did believe in the law of attraction, or rather I wanted to believe in it. Sadly, over a decade’s experience has taught me it is a myth. Positive things have happened during times in my life when I have been convinced nothing remotely positive could happen and similarly negative things have happened to me when I have been 100% convinced they wouldn’t. Indeed, it is because of my previous belief in what I now realise is just a con that, during an extremely loving and positive time of my life, I ended up down a path leading me to over $50,000 of debt. It is all rubbish! Don’t believe it!