Black Belts Focus On The Path Not The Destination

Steve Pavlina just posted an entry on What Are The Odds of Becoming A Black Belt. He doesn’t specifically list the odds of becoming a black belt, rather he uses the time, effort, dedication and training necessary to achieve a martial arts black as a metaphor for achieving success in other areas of life.

As a coach and a trainer I often witness the “I want to be there NOW,” syndrome. I want to be rich. I want to be successful. I want to be a great musician.

It’s very easy to fall into that trap. I catch myself falling into that trap on a regular basis!

But as one who took the time – 10+ years – to achieve a second-degree black belt in Goju-Ryu Karate, I recognize the need for patience and persistence in all areas of life. Yes, there were times in my training that I wanted to “be a blackbelt.” But as I continued to train I realized that the achievement – the belt – was far less important than the pursuit.

It was in the training that the understanding came. The belt itself – the achievement – was just a symbol of what I had learned. It was a reminder of the path I had chosen. When I received my second-degree belt, it was quite anti-climactic.

In the same way, benchmarks on your path to any goal, are just symbols. On the path to financial freedom, for example, your first $100,000 income year or your first month with $5,000 in passive income are signs that you are on the right path. They provide positive feedback and validation as well as inspiration to continue growing.

It was good to be reminded of my years in the dojo. Good to remember the focus, passion, patience and dedication I brought to that pursuit. When I apply that same focus, passion, patience and dedication to any area of my life, it’s safe to say that the results will be similar.

You might want to ask yourself in which area of your life you want to pursuer a “black belt.” And when you have the answer, ask yourself if you are willing to commit fully to the pursuit.

Steve Pavlina says: In many fields you only see a 1% success ratio because the other 99% are merely taking up space.

Do you want to be part of the 1% who succeed, or the 99% who are just taking up space?

It’s a good question.

    There were no related posts but you may be interested in these!


      Join the Conversation!

      Got something to say?