Comfort Zone Equals Money Zone or I Don’t Do Touchy Feely

On Saturday, as I was waiting for the hotel elevator after the Millionaire Mind Intensive lunch break, I overheard a snippet of conversation a man was having on a cell phone.

“I’m here at this Millionaire Mind Conference.” “Yeah, there’s been some pretty interesting stuff. But there’s also been a lot of touchy feely stuff. And you know me…I just don’t do touchy feely!”

He really put an emphasis on that last statement. “I don’t do touchy feely.”

One of the concepts that T. Harv Ecker teaches is a simple equation: CZ=$Z: The size of your Comfort Zone equals the size of your Money Zone. If you want to expand your money zone you MUST be willing to stretch the boundaries of your Comfort Zone.

Was this man in the hallway of the Holiday Inn willing to stretch his comfort zone? I don’t think so. How much is his Money Zone going to expand if he holds onto his pattern of not doing touchy feely? Not a whole heck of a lot!

Now here’s the thing. It’s never comfortable to stretch your comfort zone. After all it is called the comfort zone. During this seminar I was continuously challenged to stretch my comfort zone, beginning at the very first break.

The trainer, David Wood, challenged us to meet at least one new person during every break. “Can you commit to that?” he asked. “Yeah, yeah. No problem. I can do that.” I said. Well, actually, I got caught up in the energy of the moment and screamed at the top of my lungs. “Yes!!!”

Well, you may not believe this, but I’m not actually a very good new-person-meeter. I’d much rather be in my office talking to a coaching client, or sitting, anonymously in a café writing blog posts, or teaching small, intimate groups.

So when the first break came I found myself falling into a familiar (comfortable) pattern. I walked out of the hall (without meeting anyone new) headed up the stairs (without meeting anyone new) went straight out the doors of the convention center and found myself standing at the corner of the sidewalk, just about to take a “quick walk around the block to get some fresh air.”

That’s what the guardian of my comfort zone was saying. “Don’t worry. You’ll have time to meet someone after you walk around the block. But right now, you need some exercise and fresh air. Go on.”

STOP!

Before my foot stepped off the sidewalk, I caught myself, turned around, and walked right up to a woman that was standing there and said, “Hi.”

That’s all it took to short-circuit the part of my comfort zone that wants to remain invisible, unseen, and on the sidelines. At the moment when I said “STOP” and overruled the voice of my Comfort Zone guardian, I expanded the boundaries of my Comfort Zone and began to break a pattern that had kept me small.

After that break, I made a commitment to myself. I committed to meeting someone new at every break. I committed to breaking the pattern that kept me separate and apart from others. I committed to letting myself be seen and seeing others. I realized that, while I was quite an exceptional observer of others, as long as I remained on the sidelines, watching, I was not truly seeing them.

And here’s the best part: It got easier and easier. At every break, I met at least one new person. I had wonderful conversations and connections with these people. I got to see how my pattern of staying on the sidelines and not being seen was holding me back. I got to see just how irrational my fears were.

So let me ask you this: What is your “touchy feely?” What is one thing that you “just don’t do?”

How is that pattern holding you back? How is that pattern keeping you small?

Do you want to change that pattern? Do you want to stretch your Comfort Zone?

Remember CZ=$Z: The size of your Comfort Zone equals the size of your Money Zone. But it’s not just your money zone. The size of your Comfort Zone also equals the size of your Joy Zone, your Love Zone, your Fulfillment Zone… Get it?

If you want more of anything in your life, you have to be willing to stretch your Comfort Zone. Are you willing to do so?

If you say “yes,” I want you to click on the “add a comment” link down below right now, and let me know what one step you are going to take today to stretch the boundaries of your Comfort Zone.

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

28 Responses to “Comfort Zone Equals Money Zone or I Don’t Do Touchy Feely”

1. Spoon on December 5th, 2006 6:10 am

Thanks! I really needed that! I’ve read “The Secrets of the Millionaire Mind”, but I sort of got off the track because I wasn’t willing to step outside of my comfort zone, which is a place where I’m pretty unconscious about what I do with money, so to step out of my comfort zone, I will balance my checkbook so that I know how much money I have at any given time.

Thanks for the challenge!

2. mind-mart on December 5th, 2006 10:04 am

“. . . my comfort zone that wants to remain invisible, unseen, and on the sidelines.” That’s me in a nutshell. I was reading somewhere that it’s not about discipline but forming new habits. Sure wish I could have attended that conference.

3. Edward Mills on December 5th, 2006 10:14 am

Spoon. You’re welcome for the challenge. It’s so easy to get off track. The Comfort Zone Guardian is a master of distraction. Congratulations on taking the great step of committing to balance your checkbook! Let us know how you do.Chris. Awesome intention. I’d be interested to hear the specific way or ways that your Comfort Zone Guardian attempts to keep you from being the truest, most authentic form of Source that you can be.

Mind-mart. You can still go the conference. You can find out more here. They have them all over the country. AND…you can take steps right now, without going to the conference. What can you do today to take yourself out of the sidelines and get yourself into the game? Let us know.

Ed

4. Chris Vomvolakis on December 5th, 2006 7:52 am

Today, moment to moment, I commit to being the truest, most authentic form of Source that I can be!

5. Valerie Bettencourt on December 6th, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks Ed and Shelly! I woke up thinking about what I could do different today and already made a list of what I want to attract.
      Now I will step out of my comfort zone by; 1st- contact the 3 people I’ve intended to contact for the last month and haven’t and go to the social function tonight I would normally skip~ 2nd Balance my checkbook and feel the abundance ~ 3rd know that my Joy Zone, Love Zone and Fufillment Zone are all expanding with this stretching of my comfort zone.
      With Love & Gratitude~ V

6. Mike Shea on December 6th, 2006 8:09 am

I attended the seminar with Ed and his wife Melissa and I had to really push myself to get out of my comfort zone. When I did, it was amazing to see me do things that I thought I would never do. I do not like being around large crowds and going up to someone to shake their hands or giving them a hug was way out of my comfort zone, but ever so gratifying.

7. Edward Mills on December 6th, 2006 8:56 am

Valerie. Those are great steps for expanding your comfort zone! I can already feel you stepping into a much bigger Joy-Love-Fulfillment Zone!

Mike. It was great being there with you and watching us all take huge steps forward into our expanding comfort zone!

ed

8. Evolving Times » 30-Day Trial For Simpleology And A New Email System on December 13th, 2006 9:58 am

[…] I heard that voice and recognized it for what it is…my comfort zone guardian wanting to keep me safe and secure and small! For the most part I was able to resist the alluring call of that voice. […]

9. Evolving Times » New Year Carnival Roundup on January 13th, 2007 8:52 am

[…] Way back on December 10th, Kirk Walsh posted the Carnival of Debt Reduction which included my entry on the Comfort Zone. […]

10. Marni on February 9th, 2007 12:37 pm

I am going to give over to the universe the feeling I have of needing to control the outcome of a family estate court case I’m involved in.

11. Edward Mills on February 9th, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Marni

That’s big. Thanks for posting your intention here. See if you can stay in the feeling of peace and envision everyone winning!

12. Lise Sutherland-Fraser on March 12th, 2007 6:27 pm

Super post, really loved that. Been wanting to do Harv’s seminars (offered for free if you buy the book from memory) but as I’m in Australia can’t do that YET until I attract it eh?
      I totally agree about the CZ=$Z, very cool and something I’m dealing with right now, moving out of my comfort zone to start meeting new people telling them about a product I’m excited about but wow that CZ loves to keep you all cushed up and “safe” whatever the heck that is read = bored and boring. Aside from what people ‘get’ from Law of Attraction, its making the world a much brighter and blissful place to live in as people realise they can create what they desire with a little change in focus and awareness then imagine how the world will be vibrating, beautifully! Life is truly an amazing place! Warm wishes from Australia, Lise

13. lillian on May 11th, 2007 12:24 pm

fantastic. before I leave work in 30 minutes, I’m going to make one of the phone calls I have been putting off for weeks.

14. Evolving Times » 16 Personal Development Lessons From Harry Potter on August 16th, 2007 9:45 am

[…] when the challenge we face is one that tests us, stretches us and pushes us to the very edge of our comfort zone and […]

15. Evolving Times » 30-Day Trial For Simpleology And A New Email System on August 20th, 2007 4:11 pm

[…] heard that voice and recognized it for what it is…my comfort zone guardian wanting to keep me safe and secure and small! For the most part I was able to resist the alluring […]

16. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on September 2nd, 2007 1:58 pm

Edward, this weekend, my brother-in-law called me to ask if he could bring his girlfriend to visit this weekend when he and his mother came to visit. I said yes. Having people that I don’t know spend 2 nights in my home is a very big stretch for me out of my comfort zone. My home is my “safe” place. I enjoyed the weekend. I didn’t worry about it as much as my mother-in-law did.

17. 51 Ways to Expand Your Comfort Zone - Evolving Times - The Law of Attraction Resource for Personal Growth on September 26th, 2007 9:52 am

[…] Harv Ecker, the author of The Secrets of The Millionaire Mind has said that our comfort zone equals our money zone. In order to have more money in our lives we must expand our comfort […]

18. Kris on September 27th, 2007 7:21 am

Every time I have got to do something that WILL improve my situation but don’t because I am too cautious, I will be aware of this and step through!

19. nay min thu on September 27th, 2007 7:54 am

Great post.

I absolutely love the equation: CZ = $Z

=)

20. cmoney on November 5th, 2007 10:47 am

I am going to expand my CZ thereby expanding my $Z (oh ya!) by studying for my biology exam and trusting that my preparation will help me do good on the exam. I will then complete the development of my website I have been putting off.Yes!

21. Rick on November 7th, 2007 7:38 am

Hi! Great post!

Today I am going to think about money every hour for a few minutes and I am going to create and link pleasure and joy to it.

Thanks.

22. Edward Mills on November 8th, 2007 2:35 pm

Cmoney. Did you ace that exam?

Rick. Ah, linking money with joy. What a novel concept! 😉

23. Dev on November 13th, 2007 10:06 pm

I love this thread! I am breaking out of my comfort zone right now by becoming a writer instead of just a reader. I am a huge fan of Abraham and Abraham-Hicks, which is how I came here, but I have never heard of the Millionaire Mind.

I was just this morning thinking that I have managed that tricky equation of appreciating and loving what I have, while eagerly and joyfully expecting more, in so many areas- friends, family, home, community, employment, creative activities.

But I have yet to feel that I can put myself at the same time in the place of gratitude AND the place of confident expectation of expansion when it comes to money. If I am trying to be grateful for what I have, I feel I am forcing myself into being complacent with less than I really want. If I try to be on the optimistic expectation side of the equation, my history tells me that, while I will likely find a way to build my income (again), that I have no gift for preserving my assets, and that I will be trapped in the “Boom and Bust” cycle forever, at least in this lifetime.

I love this idea of expanding my comfort zone, and am going to find out about the Millionaire Mind. Thanks for the tip!

24. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on November 14th, 2007 7:25 am

Dev, how do you feel when you are in Gratitude mode? I feel joyful. That joy is what I intend when I choose to create or manifest my heart’s desire in my life. The power of affirmations comes from the feelings that we add to the affirmations. Do activities with joy and the Unverse brings you more activities full of joy. The state of our mind is our best friend or our worst enemy. What we concentrate on is what we create. What we concentrate on is what we give power to. Keep reading more of Edward’s articles. They are a great inspiration.

25. Dev on November 14th, 2007 9:02 am

Patricia, thank you! You hit on something very important for me- I always feel joyful when I am in gratitude in the other areas of my life, but I do not seem to summon it when I think of dollars. That I seem to turn into work, and I lose the playfulness I experience at other times.

It seems so obvious now that you have said it, but it wasn’t breaking through to me at all. My decision is to summon joy when I think of my money, and if I can’t do that at a particular moment, I will move off the subject until I can regain the joy. I can already hear my seriousity come in because it’s money we’re talking about- time to skip the work part and get back to the joy.

I ordered The Millionaire Mindset and am looking forward to it.

thanks again, Dev

26. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2007 4:31 pm

Dev and Patricia. Great conversation. Dev, you might want to try attaching joy to what you want to do or get with the money. In other words, if it’s difficult for you to look at a hundred dollar bill and feel joy, imagine all the things you could do with that money that would bring you joy. Not that you’re going to go do all of them. Rather, you’re attempting to create a positive connection to the functional part of money rather than the idea of money.

You’ll also want to start replacing the resignation that you seem to have about the “boom and bust” cycle. One of the things you’ll learn in the Millionaire Mind materials is the importance of starting to save money, no matter how little. Start reprogramming your subconscious mind to believe that you can save and that you do always have more than enough money.

Let me know how you like the book!

27. Bruce Terrell on November 24th, 2007 2:38 pm

This is a great thread. Thank you Ed for starting it and for all who have participated.

What stepping out of a comfort zone looks like for me is being more willing to plan my life. I am great at being here now, with surfing whatever wave I find myself on.

Yet, when it comes to getting present and making choices about possible future opportunities, comfort zone guardians keep putting this off. I would rather do almost anything other than putting events on my calendar and making the necessary travel arrangements.

In just thinking about doing this I feel an uncomfortable squirming inside. My admitting this to myself and to you feels like a good first step in stepping out my comfort zone box.

28. If You’re Not LIVING It You Don’t KNOW It on June 4th, 2008 5:55 am

[…] points is that if you’re not living it, you don’t “KNOW” it. The first time I went to the Millionaire Mind Intensive I got some great insights, but there was still a part of me that fell into the “I know that” […]