Attraction Plus Non-Attachment Equals A Sure Thing

I had an experience this morning that reminded me of the power of the Law of Attraction when combined with non-attachment.

For several months, we’ve needed a replacement registration card for one of our cars. And because neither my wife nor I really wanted to deal with it – can you say “swept under the rug?” – it came down to a fairly last minute, must-do task that could no longer be handled gracefully via the mail and which fell not-so-gracefully into my lap and.

If you’ve ever been to a California DMV office you know that the wait can be as long as one hour or more. So I was not thrilled at the prospect of spending much of my morning handling this.

Fortunately, before I had done any serious pre-paving with that thought and feeling, I caught myself and shifted. I was basing my perception of what would happen on my experience of what has happened in the past.

In reality, though, there is no connection between what has happened and what can happen other than the connection I create! As the Deliberate Creator of my life I choose to bring my past experience with me into the present. Or not.

In this case, I chose not to.

When I caught myself attracting from a place of frustration and irritation, I immediately stopped and got perfectly clear about what I wanted to happen. I envisioned myself arriving at the DMV office just as the doors were opening and moving quickly and efficiently through the process of acquiring a replacement registration.

I could clearly see and feel this unfolding.

Now I have learned that even when you pre-pave with the clearest intentions and vision and feeling, it is still wise to be unattached to the outcome. So, to ensure that no matter how long I needed to wait at the DMV, I decided to bring my laptop with me. This way, even if I had to wait an hour, I could happily sit there writing all about my experience!

And as strange as it sounds, when I pulled into the DMV parking lot, I was actually looking forward to waiting for a while and getting some writing done. Apparently, though, it was not meant to be.

When I walked into the DMV just a couple of minutes after 9:00, there was no one waiting in line at the triage desk. I’ve never seen that before. I waited about 30-seconds while the two employees behind the desk finished a conversation.

In the next 45-seconds I had the form I needed to fill out and my number, G043. Before I could even find a place to fill out the form, the recorded voice announced, “Now serving number G43 at window number 7.”

“This can’t be happening.” I thought to myself. But when I looked up on the screen that listed the latest numbers called, sure enough, G043 was there right next to the #7 window. I literally had to triple check my ticket to make sure that I was not hallucinating.

It was interesting to notice the reaction of the woman at window number 7 when she realized that I did not have my form filled out and she was going to have to wait for me! Unless I’m wrong, she got a bit annoyed. Maybe I imagined it, but I could have sworn that she started tapping her fingers on her desk.

Once I had filled out the form, the process of getting the replacement registration was quick and efficient. I thanked Miss Window #7, wished her a lovely day and was out the door.

All told, my trip to the DMV had lasted less than 7-minutes.

That has to be a world record!

And here’s the point of all this. When you combine a clear, specific intention with clear vision and strong positive feelings you stand a good chance of quickly manifesting that intention.

However, when you add non-attachment to that equation you exponentially increase the likelihood that intention will quickly manifest in your life.

So begin to consider how you can create non-attachment by preparing in advance. For example if you are pre-paving a traffic-free commute home from work, set the intention, see the vision, feel the feeling, AND bring some inspiring CDs to listen to, or your list of phone calls to make, or a voice recorder so you can “write” while you’re driving.

If your funds are a bit tight this month and you’re attracting enough money to pay your rent on time, go ahead and set the intention, see the money coming in, feel the relief and peace and joy when you get those checks, AND call your landlord to let him know that you might be a few days late with the rent.

By preparing in advance for any outcome, you can more easily enter the space of non-attachment which frees up a vast amount of your energy to attract you desired outcome.

I would love to hear the ideas that you have for preparing in advance and creating a state of non-attachment. What intentions are you currently working on and how can you empower them even more by becoming unattached to the outcome?

Let us know by leaving a comment below.

17 Responses to “Attraction Plus Non-Attachment Equals A Sure Thing”

1. Bill on February 23rd, 2007 12:15 pm

How do you really know this is the LoA at work, and not a coincidence? I mean, it is real easy, after the fact, to make the connection with the intent and the outcome. Even if you had waited an hour it is possible you could have found “something” in the time period you could connect to you intent.

I am certainly NOT saying this was the case, don’t get me wrong. I just have a hard time accepting the LoA totally. What I would like to see is a study that says “OK, let’s all intend to make this happen at a specific time or date, or rate, or qualities (whatever, a long as it is a measurable outcome) and see what happens. If it is as easy as everyone says it is, it should be that easy to prove.

I am not seeing the proof, I am only seeing an association after the fact.

2. Edward Mills on February 23rd, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Bill.

The “is it Loa, or is it coincidence” question has been around since long before this work was being called the Law of Attraction.

How do I know it was the LoA at work? I have just seen enough examples of Deliberate Creation, as well as Non-Deliberate Creation, in my life that I chose to believe it works.

Can I prove it to you? Nope.

There actually are folks that are attempting to prove this stuff works. One organization that is doing some very interesting research is the Institute for Noetic Studies. You can check them out at: http://www.noetic.org/research.cfm

In the meantime, until science can catch up with our ability to create our reality from a deliberate place, I’m going to continue to believe that it is the LoA at work.

The concept of coincidence, in my opinion, relieves a person of far too much self-responsibility.

3. Justin Ruckman on February 23rd, 2007 1:53 pm

I’ve never thought about it exactly like this before — attachment hindering intention — though I feel this has been true in my experiences as well.

4. Linda Salazar on February 23rd, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi Ed,
        Thank you for sharing this story and the information on pre-paving. I have been doing this for years, always ending up with wonderful results. What I have also found to be true is the ability to pre-pave while in the moment of a circumstance that’s not working for me.

I walked into the post office where there was a huge line and I was in a time crunch. Knowing I’d never get out in time to be where I needed to be next, I literally started holding the vision and feeling that I was at the front of the line with tons of time to spare. Within a matter of minutes of doing this, a clerk opens up another counter and says, “Those who are here just to pick up a package please come foward.”

I was the only one there to do that! Now that’s not all. When I got to the counter she said to me, “You know, it’s weird that I came out front because I don’t normally do pick ups at this time but I got a feeling I needed to, so I came out front!”

In that moment I knew exactly what created that to happen!
        So not only can we pre-pave well in advance, but we can absolutely shift the experience we are having in the moment to allow for a new experience to show up like magic!
        And you are sooo right. We must let go of the attachment to the outcome.

5. Bill on February 24th, 2007 6:41 am

The Noetic Sciences site looks to be very interesting. That should keep me entertained for a while. 🙂 Thanks for the link.

6. Lena on February 25th, 2007 10:07 pm

I’ve always wondered why it was when I “released” the need for something I really wanted to happen, it ended up happening *exactly* as I wanted it to. Now I totally get it.

I create this quite often in my life and although I was not doing it consciously, I can see now how to make this a more conscious process.

-Lena

7. Edward Mills on February 26th, 2007 6:29 am

Hi Lena

Yes, I think most of us create this type of situation unconsciously. I’m glad that you now see how to bring more consciousness to the process!

8. mike on February 26th, 2007 9:31 am

Great story Ed. You had me laughing off my chair. It is amazing how LoA works. I have been putting it out there to purchase a small business for a year, seeing it, feeling it, and believing it will happen. On March 1 the business my nephew and I made an offer on will be ours! Yahoo! Scary and exciting for both of us. Thanks again for starting my day off with a great story.
        Mike

9. Edward Mills on February 26th, 2007 9:41 am

You go Mike! Glad I could get your day off to a great start!

10. Edward Mills on February 26th, 2007 9:58 am

Linda. What a great LoA story! I love that.

11. bill on February 26th, 2007 10:02 am

In all of these examples, you took action right? I mean, you didn’t just go through the steps and then just sat back and waited for “them” to come knocking on the door. Correct? Or am I off base here?

12. mike on February 26th, 2007 10:28 am

Bill,
        I knew I wanted to purchase a small business but I was not sure how I would do it. I attended the Millionaire Mind Intensive Seminar in December. When I came back home I felt stronger than ever that I wanted to buy a business. My instincts told me it would happen and I continued to believe it. My nephew approached me within a couple of weeks after I returned from the seminar. We first put an offer in on a laundromat. That fell through. I still believed it would happen. It never entered my mind it would not happen. We put in an offer on a juice bar inside a major health club. It felt right. My nephew is ambitious and an investor. I have faith and trust in him. I wired the money, we looked at the numbers and knew we wanted this business. I never believe it would not work out. I felt stronger that this offer would be accepted and we would own this place. It happened. What Ed said about envision it, feel it, and seeing it…it works! I envisioned that I would be an owner of some type of business. I felt it and I believed in it.
        It took me awhile to get to this part in my life. Believing that the LofA works. For me, it does because I have seen it work time and time again.
        Thanks for asking.
        Mike

13. Evolving Times » Put It In The Hands Of The Lord on February 26th, 2007 11:02 am

[…] been thinking about the concept of faith as it relates to the Law of Attraction. This post on Attraction And Non-Attachment rekindled my interest in this […]

14. Bill on February 26th, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks Mike,

Here’s my two cents, for what it is worth.

I guess i am just trying to get my mind wrapped around this LoA concept. This is how it works to me. You first build up an idea of intent, then get motivate, then take action. This will then lead you to success (or manifestation). The chances are unlikely if any of those parts are missing. They can happen by chance of course, and you can call it LoA, but you would have no real proof because it could happen by chance.

Taking action is the key I think. Conditioning your mind to see for opportunities is the up-front intention work. Getting excited and confident about it is the “I felt it” part. Knowing that it will succeed, that is what keeps you going and helps you to forget about your non-successes. When you finally do reach your goal, it can be contributed to your own hard work. Not that of some mysterious universal law.

I will continue to look into this and learn all that I can. Who knows, I could be completely wrong.

15. Edward Mills on February 26th, 2007 3:35 pm

Bill: You are absolutely right! Action is definitely a part of the Law of Attraction. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the idea that the LoA is different from or separate from action started going around. That is completely untrue.

The LoA encourages Inspired Action — taking action from a space of positive alignment. The teachings of the LoA point out that you can always take action and force your way into the manifestation of your desires. But why do it that way when you can align your thoughts, feelings and intentions BEFORE taking action?

With that alignment the action is inspired, the resources you require are easily attracted to you, and you are connected to your inner guidance system which helps you make the most effective decisions in pursuing your actions.

16. Dev on February 26th, 2007 7:44 pm

Some Weekends I take my kids to YMCA. Normally my wife, her grouse has been that she can never get parking in YMCA lot so she has to park in mall nearby. I pre pave for a parking spot. I leave it to Nature and I always get parking. She and the kids are simply amazed how I manage to get a parking spot everytime while there are several cars always prowling for a space. This just one example. Most people I have seen simply do not know the way to feel when asking from nature. They lack the energy life force behind what they want/are asking for. Once you learn how to ask, you will see, it works all the time.

17. Edward Mills on February 27th, 2007 7:03 am

Thanks Dev. Great story. And I love that you “leave it up to Nature.”