From Polarity To Centerpoint

My post yesterday explaining why I disagree with Steve Pavlina on the topic of Polarity has certainly gotten my creative juices flowing! In this post I want to explore the optimal state that occurs at the Centerpoint on the Continuum of Energetic Directionality. If you have not read I disagree with Steve Pavlina on the topic of Polarity” yesterday’s post, you might want to do that first.

Yesterday’s post explored the concept of energetic directionality. Our energetic system is in a dynamic, constantly shifting state, sometimes flowing more energy out to the universe, other times receiving more energy from the universe. But while there may be more energy flowing in one direction, the flow can never be just one-way: There is always energy flowing in and flowing out.

As I was meditating this morning, I realized why Steve’s concept of polarity feels wrong to me. It’s because so many of our optimal, peak experiences as humans occur at the centerpoint of the continuum. Peak experiences happen when our outflowing energy and our inflowing energy are in balance. Here are some examples.

Creative expression: The ultimate space of creativity is when we are in a perfect state of balance between inflowing creative inspiration and outflowing creative expression. When there is no doubt or hesitation, no inner critic getting in the way, and we allow creativity to move into and through us unimpeded. This is the centerpoint.

Sexuality
: Sex, and especially energetic sexual practices including Tantric and Taoist techniques can create a centerpoint experience. In these practices there are specific techniques aimed at amplifying the outward flow of energy to your partner or increasing your ability to receive energy from your partner. But the ultimate state is one of balance and unity where the energy flow is so balanced that you achieve complete harmony with your partner.

Pushing Hands in the martial arts
: If you have practiced a martial art you have probably engaged in some form of pushing hands. In this exercise you connect with a partner and, using one or both hands, push back and forth in a specific pattern. The idea is not to overpower your partner but to constantly gage his or her level of output and match that output exactly. At the novice level this exercise is mostly one of physical strength and balance. But at more advanced levels this exercise becomes a much more energetic endeavor. You learn to “listen” to your partners energy in such a way that you can instantly respond to changes in his or energy output. This level of instantaneous awareness and response requires you to be at the centerpoint.

The centerpoint is the place of Flow as described by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in his book Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience. It is the merging place of awareness and action.

I believe that while the process of manifestation will take us through many cycles along the continuum of energetic directionality, ultimately, the optimal place of manifestation is the centerpoint.

So use the concept of energetic directionality to empower specific steps on the path of manifestation. But also be on the lookout for those moments of flow and unity and synchronicity that occur at the centerpoint.

I would love to hear from you. What are your thoughts on Polarity vs. Continuum? When have you experienced the centerpoint? How are you going to incorporate the concept of energetic directionality into your manifesting process?

Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.

8 Responses to “From Polarity To Centerpoint”

1. Steve Johnson on February 22nd, 2007 9:32 am

Great posts, Ed!

It’s hard to discount Steve P.’s explanation, simply because of his success at applying it. I think there are gaps, huge ones, in what he’s said so far, though.

I would like to throw this out: polarity and directionality seem to me to be fundamentally the same concept. I do like your execution of this much better, though, because I do believe in balance and harmony (what your explanation of continuuum strikes me as). If one thing goes out, something else must come in to fill the void, and that is what Steve P. seems to be leaving out, at least at this point.

Yin and yang, you know. What goes around, comes around. Give to get. All that.

2. Edward Mills on February 22nd, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks Steve.

I agree with you that polarity and directionality are different ways of expressing the same concept. And I feel the Steve P’s concept of polarity absolutely has powerful applications. It is in his assertion that energy can only flow in one direction that I disagree.

It is exactly the yin and yang you speak of. In the physical world, there can be pure yin or yang (although as I mentioned in the first post, the seed of the other state always lives in the center of its opposite) but in the energetic realm, I believe it is impossible to have a single state expression, if you will.

3. Mike Tuttle on February 23rd, 2007 6:15 am

I am beginning to think that you and Steve P. are saying the same thing actually! haha. In the articles so far, I believe Steve has been establishing the *concept* of flow directionality. Hopefully he will clear up the fact that we can *choose* which way we face in the stream, pushing or pulling. The flow itself is circular. Always push and you will always receive, effortlessly. I think the Law of Attraction simply asks that we name what we want in return and trust that it will come in correspondence to our giving. But the *focus* must be on the giving.

4. Lyn on February 23rd, 2007 7:02 am

Mike Tuttle has the right emphasis. Our focus (without thought of return) must be on giving. It follows what Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35) Yes, I know. Some will respond that we must become better “receivers” otherwise we won’t be able to give out of our abundance or overflow. I agree. But let’s not turn Jesus’ words upside down – the truth is, given our natural state, we would all much rather receive than give (think of kids at Christmas :-). Thus the scriptural admonition. Thanks for the discussion.

5. Mike Tuttle on February 23rd, 2007 7:47 am

Lyn said “we would all much rather receive than give”.

I understand the impulse toward that notion, but I am not so sure I agree. Sure, the “kids at Christmas” analogy is used a lot, but the factor of maturity is missing. At Christmas I am much more enthused at watching the surprise on others’ faces when they open what I got them. Am I “receiving” in that case? Sure I am. But that’s the point of the scripture. I am, in that moment, “more blessed” (other translations say “happier”).

In fact, my interaction with this topic here and at Steve’s blog is due to an odd situation I find myself in lately. I have been having trouble finding anything to inspire me. I have gone through goal-setting workshops and such only to find that hardly anything appeals to me. BUT, when I think about areas in which I can help others (especially to help them raise their consciousness), my excitement starts to warm again. Materialistic pursuits just feel bland to me. If I see a great house, I think about my kids running around in it. If I see a big vehicle, I think about taking my kids on trips. If I imagine a beach house, I think about bringing friends over to enjoy it. The “receiving” priority just leaves me cold. It’s a big focus shift (and a bit of mental aikido) that I am really interested in studying.

6. Edward Mills on February 23rd, 2007 11:33 am

Hi Lyn

I recently heard (and cannot vouch for its accuracy) that the saying “It is better to give than to receive” is actually based on an earlier Greek saying “It is better to be in a position to give than to be in a position where you must receive.”

I must admit that this second version resonates with more truth to me than the other version.

I think it’s impossible to say that one is “better” than the other, since, after all, you can’t have one without the other. If we all decided to start just giving and stop being receivers tomorrow we’d be in big trouble!

And I’ll admit that, for me, becoming a better receiver has been quite a challenge.

Again, I think the key here is balance and flow. To be an excellent giver and an appreciative receiver is certainly the optimal state.

7. Edward Mills on February 23rd, 2007 11:37 am

Mike. Keep focusing on those areas that warm your excitement. The Law of Attraction is not just about material things. In fact, in my opinion, the material things are just a small part of the Law of Attraction.

When you focus on helping others and feel that warmth, it is a sure sign that you are moving in the right direction. Follow those signs. Even if they are subtle at first. If you start to follow them they will get warmer and warmer.

Those sorts of subtle signals are what led me to this work and this blog.

8. John Halderman on April 28th, 2007 5:40 pm

I found this site while doing some research about reading Steve P’s article on polarity.
        I agreee that there is a cycle of energy, in-out, yin-yang, positive-negative, give-take that we function within.
        Thinking about Steve’s postulation about choosing which energy polarity to apply to an intention may be valid in considering what point of the cycle you will enter with your specific intention. Is the point one where you will be the giver or the receiver, realizing that you will certainly be involved in the entire cycle as everything flows. Do we choose this point of entry since we are creating the seed?

I think there is a fine line between the two sides of everything which is where we preside when we are in harmony with the system of the universe.

As in what has been mentioned above about giving and receiving, we need to participate in both in order to be in harmony. We may give more in one area of our life and receive more in another – overall balanced in order to allow a free flow of energy through us. We can block the flow at one end or the other.