Law of Attraction Carnival #14: The Secret

If you have not heard of The Secret by now, I’m pretty sure that you must have just come down from the cave in the foothills of Tibet that you were living in!

To get you up to date, here’s a quick background on where the Secret came from.

The “Secret” is The Law of Attraction, the universal law that says, Like Attracts Like. The Law of Attraction in its current form has been around for decades.

The earliest reference I have found to The Law of Attraction is from the 1906 book by William Walker Atkinson Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World.

The teachings of the Law of Attraction began gaining a more widespread audience through the work of Esther and Jerry Hicks and the teachings of Abraham in the 1980s. Since then, and especially since the late 1990s, the Hicks have been sharing information about the Law of Attraction through live seminars, recordings and books.

Many people would point out that this material, in various forms, has been around for over 2000 years! And it has. But it’s mostly been hiding out in the background. Until now!

Enter The Secret.

Originally released in March of 2006 with a sophisticated Internet delivery system, this 90-minute synopsis of the Law of Attraction has recently blasted into the mainstream with positive coverage on Larry King, and Oprah, and not so positive coverage on Newsweek, CBS News and more. (This Carnival entry from Terry Matula of Resonate with Life has an extensive list of media coverage).

The original edition of the Secret has been replaced by a New Extended Edition and there is also a new Secret Book.

The Secret has definitely taken the blogosphere by storm – certainly the personal development sector. And I’ll take a moment to toot my horn just a bit and note that this Law of Attraction Carnival, which began back in August of 2006, is the longest running blog carnival devoted to the Law of Attraction and the ideas expressed in the Secret.

This edition of the LoA Carnival is devoted to the Secret. I asked for entries that explore the ideas in the Secret, discuss the media coverage, and give personal stories about how the Secret has influenced lives.

Because there were so many great entries on the topic of The Secret, I have not published entries that were submitted on other topics. If you’re a blog author who submitted an off-topic entry, don’t take it personally. Just resubmit your entry, or another one, to a future LoA carnival.

I can honestly say that picking just five featured entries for this edition was incredibly difficult. I encourage you to read all of the entries and visit all of the blogs listed as they each have a unique take on the Secret and the Law of Attraction.

And if you’re one of the authors in this edition, don’t forget to post a link back to this carnival (or to the Law of Attraction Carnival Homepeage) so your readers can access the other wonderful entries and perspectives expressed in this edition!

And now, onto the carnival!

Featured Entries

Once again, Aaron Potts of Today Is That Day, head’s up our Featured Entries section. His entry, The Top 3 Law of Attraction Secrets Especially For Non Believers, provides a profound and practical look at three of the most important tools mentioned in the Secret: Visualization, Affirmations and Positive Attitude. Aaron summarizes what both the proponents and opponents of each of these tools have to say. And he gives a clear and specific benefit to each of them – especially for non-beleivers. Well worth checking out!

Not all the entries for this carnival expressed glowing praise for the Secret. This entry , American Secret, from Charles Green at Trusted Advisor, makes some good points about where the Secret might be off-base.

Next, Karen Lynch, at Live the Power, has lets us know that The Secret Is Out. And she also points out that the Secret may not be such a secret afterall.

Raymond David Salas, at Zen Chill, suggests there is something missing from the Secret and shares it with us in this entry, Discover the Missing Piece.

Karen Alonge makes a great point about the Secret in her entry, The Present Hidden In The Secret.

Lyman Reed checks in (from Alex Shalman’s blog) with The Courage To Change, a look at how the information in The Secret, if not approached compassionately could potentially have some negative results in your life.

And here are the best of the rest.

Remember, all the entries are great!

Terry Matula presents Media coverage about “The Secret” posted at Resonate with Life.

Bart Pair presents The Best Free Sites for Learning the Secret Law of Attraction | 10,000 Thoughts posted at 10,000 Thoughts. (Thanks for including Evolving Times and the Law of Attraction Carnival in this great list!)

Pam presents The Secret: Truth or Hype? posted at Make the Most of U.

Shelley Fondren, CMT presents In case you still don’t know “The Secret”… » Massage, Mind & Body posted at Massage, Mind & Body.

Scott Lee presents Why The Secret Is Mistrusted | Dirty Mechanism – Personal Development posted at Dirty Mechanism – Personal Development.

Wanda Grindstaff presents Why I Believe in “The Secret” – Answering My Nbr 1 Question posted at Creating Abundant Lifestyles.

Chris presents Boxing and The Law of Attraction posted at Martial Development.

I’m very pleased to announce that Aaron Potts of Today Is That Day will be hosting the next edition of the Law of Attraction Carnival. The topic for Aaron’s edition will be, The Law of Attraction and Emotions: How to properly use emotions or reactions to other people in order to maximize the benefits of the Law of Attraction. This is a great topic, and I know that Aaron will put together a great edition.

If you would like to submit an article, please visit the Law of Attraction Homepage to read the submission guidelines, then head on over to Blogcarnival to submit your entry.

17 Responses to “Law of Attraction Carnival #14: The Secret”

1. Live The Power » The Secret is Out on March 13th, 2007 1:46 pm

[…] post is included in a wonderful Blog Carnival that is totally devoted to “The Secret”. The Law of Attraction Carnival can be found at Evolvingtimes.com […]

2. Lyman Reed on March 14th, 2007 5:31 am

Edward, you are a man who knows how to run a carnival! I really appreciate all of the thought you put into your editions, and the excellent selection of articles. I’m honored to be in the top five for this edition! 🙂

3. Edward Mills on March 15th, 2007 5:20 am

Lyman. Thank you for the kind words. Your entry most definitely deserves to be featured!

4. Evolving Times » Why Bad Press For The Secret Is Good News For Us on March 15th, 2007 6:26 am

[…] Secret is definitely the “buzz” lately. For a look at some of the buzz, just read the latest Law of Attraction Carnival all about The Secret. As I noted in this entry on the backlash the Secret is receiving from much of […]

5. Lyn on March 15th, 2007 8:48 am

Ed, Nice roundup…
        I see my entry on the role of the Reticular Activation System in the LoA didn’t make the carnival. As we have different views on the metaphysics behind the LoA (vis a vis the Secret’s teachings), I wanted to submit a “neutral” entry that might appeal to your variety of readers. Not complaining, as this is your blog, but just wondering if it simply got lost in the email (submitted via Blog Carnival) or if it didn’t pass muster. Thanks for your consideration. Lyn
        Here’s the link:

6. Edward Mills on March 15th, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Lyn

It was nothing personal. As I mentioned up at the top of the carnival, there were so many entries on the topic of this edition – namely The Secret – that I decided to not publish any of the off-topic entries. (There were about 4 or 5 entries that I did not publish in this edition). I did receive your entry, and it’s quite good. Please feel free to submit it for a future edition.

And fyi, I will always list the topic for the upcoming edition on blog carnival as well as on the LoA Homepage.

7. Lyn on March 15th, 2007 9:45 am

Appreciate your response. My apologies for being off-topic. Such a broad theme, I can see where you’d like to focus on specific aspects of the LoA. Not offended. Hope I didn’t come across with a chip. 🙂 lgp

8. Edward Mills on March 15th, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi Lyn

No worries.

9. Renee on March 17th, 2007 10:26 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m overwhelmed by all of this great reading material. I am going to start with the first link and work my way down the entry. I really do appreciate your point of view. Thank you for what you do!

Law of Attraction T-shirts

10. Chester on May 10th, 2007 3:23 am

The Law of Attraction that manifest itself in the SECRET movie is simply GREAT. I love the teaching. It is energy charging, it is Love, it is refreshing, it is SUCCESS. I encourage all that have not seen the movie to see it. Get a free report as well.

11. Edward Mills on May 10th, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi Renee: I hope you made it through all of that great material!

12. holism on May 21st, 2007 9:26 pm

Law of Attraction Carnival #14: The Secret…

By now you’ve probably heard the buzz about the Law of Attraction. It’s the concept that says that you can have, be or do anything that you want no matter how large it might be.
        The Law of Attraction is an extremely simple concept that we&#…

13. Anthony on June 2nd, 2007 2:55 am

I really believe in Law of Attraction. I believe that it works best. Even unconciously we use it most of the times, but a little knowledge about the same can make us achieve anything we wish abt.

14. Azhar on July 11th, 2007 4:51 am

Asking yourself, “Well, where is it?”

People ARE impatient. When they learn about the Law of Attraction, they often have high hopes that they will simply make their lists of desires, cut out pictures, or in some other way design their reality, and then after a couple of days, weeks, or even months, they’re looking around saying, “Well?? Where is it??”.

The problem isn’t that the Universe can’t deliver quickly. The problem is that you were never REALLY vibrating in a place of trust that what your desires is yours. You are more “testing the theory”, then becoming impatient when the Universe doesn’t deliver on your time schedule.

What you may not realize realize is that from the beginning of the process, there has been resistance. There has been a lack of “allowing” in terms of how and when your desire will be fulfilled, which shows itself through your expression of impatience.

Which leads to mistake..

Azhar
        A Family that plays together – stays together

15. Jon on August 13th, 2007 4:44 am

Wow,

that’s a comprehensive list. I will slowly make my way through them.

I have a Law of Attraction blog that gets a lot of interest. People mostly look for Ester Hick articles but theres plenty of video on all the teachers in The Secret and Law of Attraction information.

Believe it or not the most popular search term is for the Rhonda Byrne interview.

16. secret friend on March 5th, 2008 11:43 pm

hi there

Am relly inspired by this carnival

As an African, (ugandan) i have made it my mission to spread and let people discover the SECRET.

Using my blog i asked for peace in neighbouring Kenya and peace is surely and steadly returning

Before i discovered the Secret, i think i would have surely advocated for total to the president there…. with the secret laws….. that is resisting and hence creating more war

This is the article i posted on my blog

secret friend

17. john spencer ellis on August 2nd, 2008 12:45 am

Hi

Yoga Master Erich Schiffmann is starring in a new movie called “The Compass”. It also has many cast members from “The Secret”. The new movie (and book) is called “The Compass”.

The Compass will pick up where The Secret left off. Prepare to be thrilled. http://www.thecompass.tv

Cast members include Erich Schiffmann, John Spencer Ellis, John Demartini, Bruce Lipton, Joe Vitale, John Assaraf, Marie Diamond, Brian Tracy, Les Brown,and so many more. The story is incredible.

There is also a book which is sure to become a best seller.

Check it out.