The Secret And Simpleology: Mark Joyners Surprising Thoughts

When I first signed up for Mark Joyner’s Simpleology system almost two years ago I was at the peak of my Law of Attraction love-fest. So you can imagine my irritation when, in the first or second lesson of Simpleology 101, Mark pokes fun at some of the ideas in the Law of Attraction.

Yes, I have gotten over it! And since then, I’ve tempered my blind faith in the Law of Attraction as it is sometimes presented and fully embraced the place that Inspired Action holds within the deliberate creation process.

Now, as the movie The Secret has taken the Law of Attraction mainstream and Mark prepares to release his brand new book, Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want, I’ve been curious about what Mark really thinks about the Law of Attraction. Last week I had the opportunity to ask him. And this is what he had to say:

Hey Ed, you asked me to write a note about the Law of Attraction. Many say I’m “not a fan” of it, but that’s not really exactly right. See, it’s not that I’m not a fan of it, it’s just that I can’t personally know whether or not my thoughts actually *attract* things to me.

Without question, if we focus on certain things we’ll definitely notice more of it. One explanation may be that the Reticular Activating System is filtering all of the information around us. Who knows … Maybe it doesn’t matter? Then again, maybe it does.

If we believe that our thoughts alone attract what we want, whether we act on those thoughts or not, then it would excuse us from taking any action ourselves. What then? Well, if it’s true that we don’t actually attract things to ourselves, but that our thoughts simply focus our actions, then the belief in pure LOA could be harmful. It’s also possible that we attract things to ourselves, but only to a certain extent.

What we can know for sure is that taking certain actions will certainly bring about certain results. Flipping the light switch in your house certainly turns on the lights. If you want to wear a pair of shoes, you slip them on – you don’t manifest them onto your feet.

So, I’m all about stacking the deck. Focusing on what you want, and following that thought with focused and planned action works. It works like crazy. So, what we teach at Simpleology doesn’t negate LOA – it can only supplement it and improve the results. More about this in my new hardback print book.

We’ve put a sample preview of 44 pages of the book for your readers to download for free. I look forward to hearing what your folks think about it!

Your friend, Mark
Mark Joyner

I have some thoughts on this, but before I jump in I want to hear from you.

What do you think of Mark’s take on the Law of Attraction?

If you already use Simpleology and the Law of Attraction, how do they work together for you?

If you have read the sample of the Simpleology book, let us know what you think.

And if you have not yet read it, go sign up for your free Simpleology account and download it now so you can let us know what you think.

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

31 Responses to “The Secret And Simpleology: Mark Joyners Surprising Thoughts”

1. Jennifer on March 26th, 2007 7:24 am

We absolutely believe in the Law of Attraction and agree with what Mark said. You do have to take some kind of action. Ever heard the story of the 3 boats? God/The Universe sends us opportunities every day, but we must act on them to get results.
      I believe that we must act in order to confirm to the Universe that the thing we are focusing on is what we really want.

I got 3 really incredible job offers right after I decided to leave the corporate world to work from home. In my opinion, this was the Universe asking “Are you sure this is what you want?”

It’s the same with the Law of Attraction. You can attract things into your experience like seeing that new CLS500 everywhere you go, but if you don’t take action toward your goals, these things will not become a part of your physical reality – i.e. actually having your own CLS500.

2. MJ on March 26th, 2007 10:50 am

Personally, I think his take is fantastic and refreshing. I’ve read a LOT of people’s impressions and experiences with LOA recently (since The Secret came out and became so huge), and a lot of the time I have a “Yeah, but…” reaction that I can’t get over. But this really strikes home.

As a matter of fact, I signed up for Simpleology a long time ago, but have put off downloading the “web cockpit” software (wimiki? WTH is that? And how much will it slow down my five-year-old laptop?). But now I think I’ll go ahead and download it and get to work.

3. Edward Mills on March 26th, 2007 11:20 am

Hi Jennifer

I never have heard the story of the three boats!

4. Edward Mills on March 26th, 2007 11:22 am

MJ. You can get all the benefits of the new Simpleology software without downloading anything. Just login to your account and start using the Simpleology Web Cockpit. No need to burden that old laptop of yours!

5. Renee on March 26th, 2007 12:43 pm

I think that is a very rational way of looking at it. And I think we all can agree that the one thing that is missing from the Movie The Secret, is the call to action. I think a moderate view that incorporates both is fair.

Of course we can’t “manifest” our shoes on our feet… at least not within our current framework of consciousness… but I do believe that we manifest the desire to HAVE shoes on our feet, and then we take the action that is necessary to make that occur.

Personally, I chose to believe more than Mark. I have too many personal experiences that give me plenty of personal proof.

-Renee
      Law of Attraction T-shirts

6. Lyman Reed on March 26th, 2007 6:01 pm

Now there’s why I’ve always been such a Mark Joyner fan… rational thinking couple with open mindedness. Personally, I did fall into the “just focus on it and wait for it to manifest” mentality, and I got exactly what I put into it… nothing. Mark’s Simpleology has really helped me to get out of that mindset and moved me to focus both my thoughts AND my actions on getting what I want.

Thanks for posting this, Ed. Well worth a Digg… And a Stumble. 🙂

7. Wendy Piersall on March 26th, 2007 7:05 pm

GREAT post, friend!

I’ve decided to simplify my approach to the LOA – no matter how crappy I feel, no matter what I’m focusing on, no matter what I’m doing wrong or right, I know that I attract great happiness, wealth and experiences into my life, period. Then I work my tail off to make things happen.

It’s been working pretty well, don’t you think? 😉

8. Dan and Jennifer on March 26th, 2007 7:14 pm

I’d definitely say it’s been going pretty darn well Wendy!

And yeah, that’s pretty much my approach also. 🙂

Have an awesome day!
      Dan

9. Edward Mills on March 26th, 2007 7:54 pm

Great Comments everybody. I think Wendy has summed it up perfectly with this:

“no matter how crappy I feel, no matter what I’m focusing on, no matter what I’m doing wrong or right, I know that I attract great happiness, wealth and experiences into my life, period. Then I work my tail off to make things happen.”

10. Joy Langtry on March 27th, 2007 4:06 am

In reference to Jennifer’s mention of the 3 boats story, here’s one version:
      A man is stranded in a flood (think Katrina/New Orleans) and on the roof of his house prays to God to be saved from drowning. A rescue boat arrives to save him, but he says, “no thanks, God will save me”. The water gets higher, he prays more, and when the second boat comes, he says again, “no thanks, God will save me”.
      This happens a third time, and after that 3rd and last boat floats away, the man drowns.
      Upon his arrival in Heaven, he asks St. Peter, “Why didn’t God save me?”
      Of course the answer is that He tried, 3 times – but the man had to get into the boat in order to accept the salvation.
      ________

If that isn’t the general idea of the 3 boats story that Jennifer is referring to, I’d love to see her version.

Anyway, sometimes the solution or answer doesn’t come in the form we immediately recognize. Ultimately, the secret to working the Law of Attraction to our benefit involves faith in ourselves, belief in our inspiration and purpose, and then taking the inspired action to assist God/the Universe/non-physical in answering our prayers/intentions/desires.

11. Edward Mills on March 27th, 2007 5:25 am

Thanks Joy. I have heard that story. And it is a perfect parable to drive home the importance of having BOTH faith, belief, trust AND focused action!

12. Rod Moore on March 28th, 2007 9:37 pm

Hey interesting thoughts by Mark.

I have been a great believer of the Law Of Attraction … and I am concerned that possibly the buzz around the Secret right now might be giving some people the wrong idea on how to apply the law of attraction.

To me the key to making the Law of AttrACTION work is actually hidden in the name of the law.

Without this key, understanding it and applying it, … well you can set all the intentions in the world but they may not have any more chance of manifesting as the diluded day dreams of a crazy person.

13. Working at Home on the Internet on March 30th, 2007 3:13 am

[…] Mills presents The Secret And Simpleology: Mark Joyner’s Surprising Thoughts posted at Edward […]

14. Edward Mills on March 30th, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi Rod

You’re absolutely right. And that’s why it’s so important to model the use of Inspired Action within the framework of the Law of Attraction.

15. Iam Yu on April 17th, 2007 6:09 am

yo mark. the law of attraction isn’t about thinking only. why are there so many people that only see a “thinking only” aspect here.

the law of attraction is merely a principle that “like attracts like”; manifestations require action with less effort.

16. Lyman Reed on April 17th, 2007 10:02 am

@Iam: Because thinking is where it starts… unfortunately, many never get beyond that point, and so that’s where all the press goes.

And BTW… Iam Yu too! 🙂

17. Branden Blinn on May 1st, 2007 10:03 am

I am in the camp that using both works. The tricky thing which is in both Bob Procter’s work and especially in the Law of Attraction is the concept of ALLOWING. Often times we get up and do, do, do, because that IS what we are trained to “do.” Even as Mark Joyner points out, you are either moving toward your target or away from it and inaction can be and often is, action away from your target.

That said, for me personally the most powerful thing I am receiving from “The Secret” and in particular the Hicks’ and Abraham’s words on the Law of Attraction, is to keep my head in a space that leads toward abundance…and to monitor this by what I’m “feeling.” Even today May 1 there is mention on the Abraham daily page that reminds me that our emotions don’t create, rather, they are the indicator of what I am already creating. I feel like using my emotional guidance system in tandem with say, Simple.ology 101, is crucial. Using that guidance mechanism helps me determine what my target praxes are, etc., etc.

Through my study along the way I got fixated on the notion that in addition to our thoughts having a magnetic vibration…when we add to thoughts our words then that magnetic vibration increases exponentially…when we add actions to those thoughts and words then the magnetic vibration increases exponentially yet again. So for me it’s basically being sure, through my emotional guidance system, to keep the ground of my thoughts pure. (not in the puritanical sense, rather purely on that which brings me joy and abundance) to be mindful of what I’m speaking about and to whom (from two standpoints does what I am saying lead me toward my targets and strengthen my Power or lead me away from my targets and weaken my power? (Joyner) BUT IN ADDITION I have to ask does this thought/word/action come from an “allowing” space or am I chasing something down…[our job is the what and opening ourselves to the ability to “receive” the universe takes care of the how and often time that how requires ACTION] If I don’t feel GREAT about what I’m thinking, saying or doing (doing the daily praxes is a guide for what I will actually DO later today…so if while doing my daily praxes I don’t feel right about an action I am planning to take then it is not an action I need to be taking today. It’s not an action that’s going to go on my praxes for today. If it doesn’t feel right I move to a different medium or long range goal and see if there’s action I can take on that one [Mark says to keep it simple with one target at a time…I just happen to be someone who, for the aforementioned reasons, need two or three targets].

I think that all these kinds of tools are great and I’m a junkie for them, but what I learned in yet another process was to give an experience my full intention, attention (including taking the actions recommended) and then “see.” Having had the experience then I can decide from a more “conscious” or informed place what works and what doesn’t work for me and take what I like and leave the rest.

LOVE THIS FORUM by the way!

18. Edward Mills on May 2nd, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Branden

Thanks for the awesome comment. You have touched on so many important points. I especially resonate with your personal feelings about needing multiple targets and the the importance of monitoring the feelings as you are doing your daily target praxis. If it doesn’t feel right, it probably doesn’t make it to the “do it” page.

19. Adam Kayce : Monk At Work on June 18th, 2007 5:43 am

This is a great conversation… worth resurrecting, that’s for sure.

I know The Secret got knocked for not being action-centered, but I didn’t see it that way at all (no pun intended). The parts about ‘and then pay attention for the inspirations that show you what you need to do to act on what’s coming’ were clear enough to me.

In my work, which is big on intuition, I’ve found that getting into the positive state of mind, like Branden talks about, and then getting intuitively clear on what your action steps are is a great way to go. It merges the inner and the outer, both of which are needed.

20. Edward Mills on June 18th, 2007 6:29 pm

Adam: You’re right on that the “missing” pieces are in the Secret, but I do feel like they were not given quite enough airtime. I’ve watched the movie 4 or 5 times now with a number of different groups. And as I’ve brought a more neutral perspective to my viewing I can definitely see why people say that the movie gives an unrealistic impression of how the Law of Attraction works.

And you’re also right about the intuition piece. Getting clear on what you want, getting into that positive state of mind and then allowing yourself to be guided to the “right action” does indeed merge the inner and outer worlds. But for many people, that process can be extremely difficult. Starting with the clarity of desire and moving right through the clarity of action takes a bit (a lot!) of practice.

That’s one of the reasons why the Law of Attraction together with Simpleology is such a powerful combination.

21. Adam Kayce : Monk At Work on June 19th, 2007 2:05 pm

True, true. I know the intuition piece stumps people; it’s probably just as misunderstood as the LoA! 😉

And I’ll have to give Simpleology another look-see… (how could I ignore the urgings of someone I have so much in common with? 🙂

22. Edward Mills on June 19th, 2007 10:13 pm

I feel extremely lucky that I found my way (attracted into my life!) a school that teaches intuition. Before my training at the Academy of Intuitive Studies, I was most definitely stumped. And even now I can get a bit stumped at times!

Obviously you can’t! Oh, and did I mention that I’ve got a really nice set of Ginsu knives for sale too? 🙂

23. Evolving Times » Sometimes Attraction Means You Just Gotta … on June 29th, 2007 1:27 pm

[…] blank, let me recount a story that I was reminded of a few months ago in this post that highlighted Mark Joyner’s Surprising Thoughts on The Law of Attraction.You know the story […]

24. Terrence Walker on July 2nd, 2007 8:22 pm

In “The Secret” Joe Vitale says, “When you get that intuitive nudge, don’t delay, don’t doubt, don’t second guess, ACT!” So action is certainly a part of “The Secret”, but I think it works both ways. Putting too much emphasis on action can be a return to creating your life “the hard way”. If you don’t intuitively know, or feel guided to what your next action should be, you probably shouldn’t be taking any action because it may just be taking you away from your goal. I know I’ve done plenty of that in the past.

Think of the reverse side of this, which would be “Self Sabotage.” You don’t get up and intentionally put forth a lot of effort to sabotage your dreams. You just catch yourself halfway through a doughnut and go “Damn!” Enough times enough time spent contemplating your vision or target will have you doing the right actions and you don’t even know it. It’s like when you look up and realize many hours have passed instantly and you look back and realize you did many days worth of work in those hours.

I certainly take action every day, but I never “work my tail off” and I definitely never try to “make things happen.” In fact, I rarely work at all. I focus on my vision and do the things I most love to do (in my case drawing anime and such).

25. Edward Mills on July 2nd, 2007 9:03 pm

Terrence: Great comment.

It may not be doughnuts for everyone, but we all have our “doughnut,” that trips us up and gives us plenty of opportunities to choose to be more intentional in our actions.

I do wonder about your comment that “If you don’t intuitively know, or feel guided to what your next action should be, you probably shouldn’t be taking any action…”

I think that there are times in everyone’s life when intuition and guidance fails and, while it may be appropriate to take a “wait and see” stance, it might also be beneficial to take some action until you reconnect with the internal guidance.

I’ll admit that there’s a fine line between taking action to redirect the flow vs. taking action to find your way back into the flow. But that’s part of the beautiful learning process that the Law of Attraction offers us!

26. Branden Blinn on July 3rd, 2007 1:00 pm

Such an interesting dialogue…for me, the intuition thing is something that is different than “feeling” but to get to the intuition I have to start with the feeling…does this make me feel good, does this make me feel bad…or sometimes, it’s like, am I getting a sinking feeling or an uplifting one. It took me YEARS to have it be okay to not do the things that simply didn’t “feel” right…because I thought I should…be the good son, the good spouse the good lover, the good boss, the good employee….I did so much that simply did not feel right to me because society or others told me it was right…once I gave myself permission to only do the things that “felt great” then all kinds of things started to open up for me around, especially around understanding the magnetics around LOA…when the “not so pleasant feelings begin to arise I have to vigilantly muster effort and energy to go back to the thoughts and then turn any negative thoughts into the fantasies, visions, day dreams whatever you want to call them but most importantly the things that make me feel great…and I really have to work HARD at it sometimes…like REALLY HARD…but then, once I get there, in the abundant, joyful, feeling place, without fail an impulse arises forward that brings me present to action THAT I can take here and now…as if that magnificent day dream is guiding me where to go, now…that call to an action, is what I call my intuition. It used to be it was my feelings that I called my intuition…but the feelings are just the feelings…the intuition arises when I get my thoughts…to lead to joyful feelings and then those feelings lead to actions that I can take and those actions, as is inevitably the case if I take them…lead to results…mostly astonishing, ones, that are often beyond my imagination…but whether great or other kinds of opportunities arise, I am quickly able to find the joy in it all and move forward with the energy in the direction I want it to go…It always and only starts in those feelings though…its just if I’m not “feeling good” I have to back up to the thoughts, re-direct and go from there…and though it may sound simple and easy, it is actually something that takes immense effort…its just every day, as the mystery unfolds the effort does not so much like effort.

27. Evolving Times » Let The Law Of Attraction Party Begin. And Bring On The Prizes! on August 1st, 2007 3:46 pm

[…] focused action. I’ve written a bit about the powerful interface between Mark’s Simpleology system and the Law of Attraction, and I’m totally jazzed that Mark has agreed to do an interview with me on that critical and […]

28. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 3:46 pm

Branden: Thank you. Like you, it’s taken me years to get to that point of trusting my feelings and acting on them. And, again like you, it is still pretty darn hard sometimes!

And I really like that you are making the distinction between the feeling that arises and the intuition that you feel is the impulse to inspired action. That’s a distinction I had not made. I’m going to play with that over the next few days and see how it feels.

29. Simpleology - Evolving Times - The Law of Attraction Resource for Personal Growth on September 12th, 2007 4:32 pm

[…] The Secret And Simpleology: Mark Joyner’s Surprising Thoughts […]

30. K Amber on October 7th, 2007 3:42 am

You got to polish up your intuition. I call it the GUT FEELINGS. The Law of Attraction is very where. But we failed to tap into the wave of calling.

With sharpened Gut feelings you will be ready and confident to TAKE ACTION that is how the Law of ATTRACTION strikes.

31. Bernice Howe on May 4th, 2009 12:38 pm

In my experience with New Thought, this law of attraction certainly is not ….NEW…. It’s in the Bible. Try as I may, I cannot make sense of this….Law of attraction. Does that mean that If I want a son or a daughter…there is one out there just waiting for me to imagine one and ‘ATTRACT’ one into my universe? We humans were created…we have the power to RECREATE….Great love Bernice Howe…