The Top 10 Secrets To My Success

What sets successful people apart from those who just get by?

It’s a great question. And Aaron Potts of Today Is That Day, has issued an invitation to a few (alright a gazillion) successful bloggers to share the habits that contribute to their success. I’m game. And I must say, narrowing down the list to just 5-10 things that contribute to my success was no easy task. But I managed to pull it off.

Here they are, in no particular order, The secrets to my success.

1. Waking up at 5:00am every morning. Since my 30-day trial of waking up at 5:00am, it has become an ongoing and indispensable part of my daily routine. Those extra morning hours, before the rest of my family wakes up are often my most creative and productive.

2. Meditate every morning. No matter how busy or overwhelmed I might be feeling about my task list, I begin every day with 30-60 minutes of meditation. Being someone that likes variety I rotate different meditation enhancements into this time including the Holosync Brainwave Entrainment technology, guided visualization and hypnotherapy recordings, self-guided energy medicine techniques, intention setting, as well as simple breath-counting meditations.

3. Use brainwave entrainment technology. In addition to using the Holosync solution in the mornings, I use the Neuro-Programmer 2 at least once a day to refresh my energy level, enhance my creativity (when I’m writing) or help me relax when I’m up against a deadline.

4. I use the Simpleology web cockpit every day. I can’t say enough about Simpleology. The simple elegance of this program serves to keep me on task and on target. Using Simpleology, I get at least twice as much done on a daily basis. As a side note, the entire Simpleology system is so full of powerful tools to boost efficiency, increase income and enhance personal energy that I could list at least 10 more habits from Simpleology that I have integrated into my daily life. If you have yet experienced Simpleology, I highly recommend that you sign up for a free account right now.

5. Get outside every day. It’s so easy for me to stay cooped up all day in my cave…err…office, punching away on the keyboard. To counteract the potential for blogger’s butt, I walk to and from my office on most days and get outside for a lunch-time walk.

6. I hike at least three times a week. I need my nature fix. Without it I get grumpy. Just ask my wife! Getting out into the wild is a top priority for me.

7. Take a day off from the computer each week. This day of rest is a recent addition to my success habits. And I must admit, while I have been successful, it has not been easy. The temptation to turn on the laptop, “just for a minute,” to log into my WP control panel to approve and respond to comments or post a quick thought, or… well you get the idea. But while it has not been easy, the benefits have been great. My computer-free day is usually Sunday. So when I wake up Monday morning, I am champing at the bit (or would that be byte?) to start writing.

8. Play with my daughter. My daughter is my most effective teacher in so many ways. She teaches me about presence, play, joy, discovery, love and so much more.

9. Remember that I am here to experience joy and feel great. One of the most powerful insights from the Law of Attraction that I have integrated on a daily basis, is the truth that I am here for joy! I am here to have fun. I have little reminders about this in my office, home and car, in case I forget.

10. Play well with others. I have come to realize, better late than never, that I can’t succeed in solitude. Connecting with others has become a hugely important part of my daily routine. Whether joining the conversation here in the blogosphere, meeting with a colleague to discuss possible partnerships, connecting on a bridge line with peers for a mastermind group, or asking for perspective on new ideas from friends, stepping out of the vacuum of “solo” entrepreneur and into a larger community has been one of the most important recent secrets of my expanding success.

That’s it, although I could definitely keep going. Thanks again to Aaron Potts for initiating this conversation.

Now I’ll tag the following successful bloggers because I want to hear (steal) some of their success habits. My apologies if you’ve already been tagged. Consider it an “I second that” tag confirmation.

Fellow 9rulers
Gleb Reys,
David Seah,
Justin Ruckman, and
Alexander Kjerulf.

And finally some long shot invitations to a few of my virtual mentors from whom I would LOVE to hear their top ten or so success secrets:

Mark Joyner,
Rich Schefren,
Robert Middleton,
Chris Knight, and
Merlin Mann

23 Responses to “The Top 10 Secrets To My Success”

1. Eric Blue on March 10th, 2007 1:44 pm

Great post Edward! Simpleology sounds interesting, and I could definitely benefit from the 1 day off the computer rule.

2. Dan and Jennifer on March 12th, 2007 4:25 am

Hey Ed,

Thanks for sharing, these are really great. Similarities are still eerie, but I guess we’re on similar paths.

We got tagged by Sania Wyatt ourselves yesterday so we’ll be putting up our own list.

You got me thinking with the “getting outside” thing… While it gets pretty hot here in Dallas in the summertime, this particular time of year is just beautiful. Last year I would work outside on our patio a lot instead of in the house.

I think we’ll be migrating the home office to the patio table and back in the coming days and weeks. The outdoors are so great to get inspiration flowing…

Oh, you know Jennifer and I are big fans of Holosync (been going at it for 1yr and 3 mos now, but what’s this Neuro-Programmer 2? Don’t think I’ve seen you talk about it before?

Have an awesome day!
        Dan

3. Edward Mills on March 12th, 2007 5:53 am

Hi Dan

I would have tagged you guys, but for some reason, I thought Aaron had already tagged you. Sorry. Glad that you’re in the game now!

I’m looking forward to see where we overlap, and what new habits I can discover from you!

4. Edward Mills on March 12th, 2007 5:55 am

Hi Eric

Simply put, Simpleology has changed my life! Highly recommended.

And, since yesterday was my day of rest, I can tell you that, while my body is sore from digging in the garden all morning, my mind is refreshed and ready to go!

5. Aaron M. Potts on March 12th, 2007 9:27 am

Edward,

Wow, what a great list! Thanks for participating and I know exactly what you mean about the day off. My day is also Sunday, but I still alloted myself 3 hours to write an article on Sunday mornings for my newsletter subscribers.

Then I get off my “blogger’s butt” and get the heck out of the house! 🙂

6. Edward Mills on March 12th, 2007 3:15 pm

Aaron. I know how tempting it is! I almost gave in yesterday, but I held out and had an incredible day with my daughter and wife, planting peas in the garden, having a picnic in the park and then, instead of jumping on the computer after Ella went to bed, I got out my guitar and played for a while and then soaked in a nice hot tub. It was great!

7. Aaron M. Potts on March 12th, 2007 3:26 pm

That’s the description of a beautiful day right there, Edward. Although I don’t play the guitar and my tub isn’t the most comfortable, it is still great advice to “cut the cord” as it were, and enjoy some fun non-computer activities!

8. Alex Shalman on March 16th, 2007 9:07 am

Nice list – i’m going to put mine up soon – we do have some things in common, go figure.

9. Edward Mills on March 16th, 2007 9:59 am

Yeah Go figure!!! Looking forward to seeing your list. And I’m really looking forward to seeing the compiled list that Aaron puts together.

10. Aaron M. Potts on March 16th, 2007 10:20 am

Wait till you see it! I have seen several things that were expected, and some that weren’t, but in each case, there is value in how/why people do the things that they do.

The final list won’t be out for awhile because I’ve still got a lot of people submitting entries, but the complied list will be worth the wait! 🙂

11. Evan Carmichael on March 19th, 2007 9:08 am

Great post Edward! I write a blog on Mastermind Groups and just posted a new entry mentioning your blog: The Top 10 Secrets To Success.

Keep up the great work!

Evan.

12. Edward Mills on March 19th, 2007 11:58 am

Hi Phillip. Yup, very similar. Simpleology helps solidify the process and give it a clear structure.

13. Edward Mills on March 20th, 2007 4:06 am

Evan. Thanks for the post and link. You’ve got some great resources on Mastermind groups! I’ll most definitely be reading more.

14. Karen Lynch on March 26th, 2007 10:41 am

Hi Edward,
        Very good list. I am going to have to check out Simpleology further. I think my husband actually has some information on it.

15. Karen Lynch on March 26th, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Ed,
        the Holosync technology keeps coming to me over and over in different forms ( could be just advertising or could be the law of attraction LOL) and I noticed that you mentioned that you use it for meditation every day.
        So what do you really think? I’d really love to hear.

16. Edward Mills on March 27th, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi Karen

Both my wife and I use the Holosync almost every day. We are both at the point where we need to upgrade to the next level. (Actually we’re a couple of months overdue).

This link will take you to a google search page with all the entries that include info on the Holosync.

Holosync Articles

17. Dan and Jennifer on March 28th, 2007 12:11 pm

Hey Karen,

Jennifer and I use Holosync to meditate every day.

Actually Holosync comes with the base CD for the 1 hour meditation session, but also some other shorter subliminal CDs.

We’ve been using it for a year and a half every day and it’s really awesome. And we just upgraded (yeah, paid for the 2nd level) about 3 months ago. What’s really cool about the next level is that they encode YOUR OWN subliminals in your own voice on the CDs. And you’ll also get a CD for overnight listening which I’ve gotten rather fond of.

I’ll just say I wouldn’t go back to NOT using it. Also these days we’re sleeping less, meditating twice daily, and getting more done.

Definitely check out Ed’s other Holosync articles, he’s done a great review and shared his own experiences in great depth.

Have an awesome day!
        Dan

18. Simply Successful Secrets Roundup! : Today is that Day on May 17th, 2007 7:41 pm

[…] the Power Creating a Better Life Shards of Consciousness Make the Most of U Achieve-IT! K-L Masina Evolving Times Sania Wyatt Be the Change – Tread the Path ITtoolbox The Fast Lane Vcuisine Life Optimizer The […]

19. ProductivityGoal on May 18th, 2007 10:10 am

The Secrets Are Out…

The project attracted 152 writers, each of whom contributed probably at least a thousand suggestions for success.  Those figures speak to the power of the project, the willingness of writers to give and to share. …

20. Live The Power » Simply Successful Secrets on May 18th, 2007 12:43 pm

[…] Evolving Times […]

21. Simply Successful (152 writers involved) « Life beside the edge on May 19th, 2007 7:23 pm

22. success, success, success: steve pavlina, move over! » change therapy - isabella mori on May 20th, 2007 1:17 pm

23. The Real Secrets of Success Are... « MarketingMoment.com on May 21st, 2007 12:55 am