I Needed A Vacation From My Vacation

This week has been a bit of a wash. Seems I needed a vacation from my Hawaiian vacation!

The biggest lesson learned: A seven-day trip to Hawaii is just not enough. But when you’re leaving your 3 ½ year old daughter for more than 2 nights for the first time, seven days feels like a lot! When you get to Hawaii, however, and realize that, with two nearly full days of traveling, you only have five days to relax, your perspective changes pretty quickly.

DSCN0583
That’s the beach right across from our little North Shore Cottage.

There were so many things my wife and wanted to do: Kayaking in Hanalei Bay, Snorkeling at Tunnels and Ke’e Beaches, hiking the Na Pali Coast, plus relaxing, hanging out on beautiful beaches, shopping, sight-seeing, getting massages, catching up on our reading, doing some “fun” writing, and of course, well you know, 5th year anniversary type stuff!

Well to say that our eyes were bigger than our calendars is bit more than understatement. It took us about 4-days to figure out that our to-do lists had stowed away in our baggage. Apparently they made it though the security checkpoint by swapping out the normal work-related items to fun and “relaxation” related items and thereby convincing us that they were essential components for our vacation enjoyment!

By the time we realized that we had been running ourselves ragged to get all of our vacationing “done” we only had two days left to relax!

It was most definitely an eye-opening experience. And it did leave me needing a vacation! Today is the first day that I feel like I am mostly back to work.

The good news? We won’t do that again!

And, even better than that, I’ve got a ton of material to write about. So watch for Hawaii-related posts to show up over the next few days and weeks as the experiences and ideas come into focus and wriggle their way out of my fingers and into the blogosphere.

DSCN0580
There’s Melissa and I at the Kilauea Lighthouse.

7 Responses to “I Needed A Vacation From My Vacation”

1. Aaron M. Potts on May 25th, 2007 5:04 pm

Ed,

Although my wife and I don’t take as many week-long trips as we would like to, we do frequently take 3-day weekends that ALWAYS leaving us wishing we had another day to “normalize” before getting back to work. I know exactly what you are going through.

Also, when I went to Kauai, it was the same thing – lots of plans, very little time for some reason. Plus, we were villa-bound for our entire 2nd day due to a nasty sunburn. Did you know that you would still get a sunburn in a topless jeep even if the wind made you think that it wasn’t very hot outside…?? 😉

Glad you’re back, Ed, and looking forward to the Hawaiian related posts!

2. Grant Pierrus on May 26th, 2007 12:33 am

Glad you are back, can’t wait to hear more about your trip and see some more pictures.
        Am looking forward to the radio show on Monday.

3. Edward Mills on May 26th, 2007 6:11 am

Aaron: Yeah, I figured the wind should offset the effects of the sun. But nope. Fortunately, I invested in some of those sunscreen shirts. But no pants, so our legs were pretty red after our kayak trip!

Grant: Thanks. You’ll definitely be seeing some more photos over the next few days! No show on Monday – Memorial Day! I think I’m going to change the show to another day since there are so many Monday holidays. I’ll keep you posted.

4. Renee on May 26th, 2007 12:26 pm

Glad you had a good time, even if it was packed with things “to do.”

We went to Hawaii in December 1999 and brought back a special souvenir. 9 months later, TO THE DAY, we had our first child!

It was a wonderful trip for so many reasons. We originally planned to do the same thing as you. But once we got there we cut back and ended up with only one planned activity per day. Each day had something like a Petroglyph hike, helicopter ride, Green sand beach, Snorkling, etc. and nothing took more than a few hours. It was a pretty good way to do it.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Law of Attraction Gear

5. Edward Mills on May 27th, 2007 9:19 pm

Renee: We were very careful so as to NOT bring back any surprises from this trip!

6. Karen on May 30th, 2007 5:23 am

How timely, I just wrote a post about how I want to go to Hawaii someday! 🙂 I love that beach picture.

7. Edward Mills on May 30th, 2007 5:56 am

Karen: It sure was nice waking up each morning and taking the 30-second walk to that beach! Our first morning there we met the friendliest dog who was out playing on the beach. He walked with us the entire time. We named him “beach dog.” Pretty original huh?