Perception Becomes Reality

The more I explore the Law of Attraction the more I come to see that what I call reality is nothing more than my perception of what is happening around me. I have had far too many experiences in which a simple shift of perception has literally transformed my reality. And I have witnessed and been involved in enough situations in which two or more people have perceived “reality” in vastly different ways. Yet for each of them, their perceived “reality” was “true.”

And, of course, because what we focus on expands, our perceptions of reality, perceptions that become our experience of reality, fuel the expansion and attraction of more experiences that validate that perception.

So becoming aware of the ways in which we are perceving the world around us as well as our inner world is important work on the path of Deliberate Creation.

Back in March of last year, I had a perception-busting experience thanks to a bag of wasabi peas. This entry, Wasabi Peas Have A 1000 Year Shelf-Life! takes a light-hearted, yet enlightening look at how easy it is to fall into the trap of allowing our perceptions to form our sense of reality.

18 Responses to “Perception Becomes Reality”

1. karenlim on May 17th, 2007 8:38 am

Absolutely agree.

Recently I have some issue with my staff at work.
        While feeling frustrated, I reminded myself about the law of attraction.

So I stop thinking of the bad things that happen. Rather I visualize my staff are smiling at me when I walk into the office.

This positive energy created is so huge that 3 days later my staff wrote me an apology about what happened and the working spirit came back into the team.

Just like what Bob Proctor says in his Free report: We become what we most think about. This is a powerful report, which I hope more people can benefit. Have made it available at my website. Enjoy!

2. Romantic Ideas on May 17th, 2007 10:14 am

It’s true, your perception of what is happening to you is very important when it comes to how you handle it. Very true for relationships, too!

3. Mark on May 17th, 2007 11:48 am

True, reality is always are perception, therefore if we change our perception we change our reality. Good reminder.

4. Della on May 19th, 2007 3:28 am

Yes, I agree that our perception will be our reality

What You Think About is What You Bring About

Cheers,

Della

5. Phil on May 21st, 2007 7:04 pm

Perception is reality. Been one of my mantras for a number of years especially when dealing with management issues. Very cool to read someone who has thought much about that.

6. Edward Mills on May 26th, 2007 6:18 am

Karen: That’s a powerful example of the Law of Attraction in Action. Thanks for sharing it!

Phil (Romantic Ideas): Don’t I know it about relationships! A week in Kauai alone with your wife, for the first time in over 3-years, goes a long way toward pointing out exactly what you are attracting!

Mark: It truly is that simple. Of course simple is not always easy!

7. Edward Mills on May 26th, 2007 6:20 am

Belle: I’m not sure that I agree with you that we have full control over our perceptions. If you mean that in “theory” we have control over them, yes. But in practice, most of our perceptions are handled unconsciously and therefore are not within our conscious control. It is not until we draw our perceptions into our conscious awareness that they become controllable.

8. Edward Mills on May 26th, 2007 6:24 am

Phil (Thought Sparks): I’d love to read some of your observations and experiences related to perception as reality in management situations!

9. highvibeit.com on June 4th, 2007 10:34 pm

Evolving Times » Perception Becomes Reality…

Edward Mills learns how a simple shift in perception can change your reality……

10. Tony(masterofmyreality)labbe on September 20th, 2008 7:22 pm

We are capable, in more ways than we are aware of, control our reality. A lot of people throw around the term, “naturally gifted.” What naturally gifted is, is having a mind-set that is helpful to whatever the task at hand is. We are the only species on earth that are capable of metacognition (comprehending thought process). By changing your view of the world you can lift certain inhibitions, therefore changing results. By doing this you can change your reality. Nothing exists without perception.

11. Imraan on September 29th, 2008 2:40 pm

something maybe a little off the topic.I have also been exploring the law of attraction and done much thinking about perception and reality.What bothers me is,are our perceptions really always our own?So much of what we think nowadays comes from our ever growing subversion in the media.From a marketing perspective,what i begin to see more and more is that advertising and the media seem to create our reality.Does this mean that,using a trivial example,all jeans are the same,but when i walk into a designer jeans store like Diesel the jeans there automatically look so much better and more appealing to me than the jeans i saw five minutes earlier at the cheaper store?Does it only look good because thats where,for instance,my value lies?With designer clothing?Is what i see and feel in that store only a product of the marketing?

12. Barbe Ratcliffe on October 1st, 2008 11:06 am

A lot of your perception ends up being your attitude and your beliefs up until that point. If your internal belief is you can’t do something, no matter how much you say you can it just won’t happen. Perception needs to be changed by working on the inside as much as focusing your thoughts and your words on what you do want.

13. Edward Mills on October 6th, 2008 1:41 pm

@Imraan: It’s a great point. Perception is ultimately an individual experience, but it is nearly impossible to completely extract yourself from the collective beliefs. One of the primary tasks of the Deliberate Creator is to continuously uncover personal beliefs and perceptions that are being influenced by the collective. Ultimately, whether it’s a new pair of jeans, a new car or a new relationship, our work is to dig deeper and uncover our personal desires, outside of the influence of the collective.

@Barbara: You’re absolutely right. Perception is most definitely an inside job.

14. Umang mathur on October 16th, 2008 1:02 am

“Perception” although is a small term, but has history behind it. Its reality and situation that gives rise to perception which we then try to concieve as reality because we are weak. A strong person never conceives perception as reality.

A child conceived ghost ambushing in a tree because people near him told him or made him feel of that ghost and the weak hearted child percieved it. Growing older, his strength overpowered his fear and then he came to know that his perception is not reality.

Perceptiion is a reality only for those who are weak and always want to remain in their comfortable zone. We must come come out of our frame of mind and feel things as they are without using our preferences only then will we come to know that perception is just a myth.

15. michael on January 5th, 2009 8:56 am

Actually, “Perception” Is NOT Reality. This is a term that people use when they are too lazy to find the actual reality and simply use this term instead of digging deeper to find the true reality. It’s too bad so many of you are so easily fooled into believing this because you’re only fooling yourselves. If you’d take time to think about this you’d see that reality is reality – what you perceive is not the true reality because it’s only what YOU perceive. Think of it this way – if this were true – take a look around the room you’re in…. now, close your eyes….. is the room still there?

16. asudevils1 on February 12th, 2009 8:30 pm

@Michael: You are having a completely different argument than what everyone else is talking about. The phrase “perception is reality” means what we perceive individually is our own reality (e.g. the glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty).

I believe everyone here realizes that. The power to control how we perceive our surroundings has indeed a power affect on our lives everyday, either positively or negatively.

17. Jen on March 9th, 2009 9:15 am

This is so true!

I think what many people don’t realize is that perception is often determined by our own internal situation, for instance, our insecurities will shape how we interpret other people’s behavior.

In my opinion, past experience and insecurities are a major aspect in forming what we perceive as “reality” – and although we can control this perception to some extent (or at least the impact it has on us), this is definitely not easy.

18. shane on March 12th, 2009 5:24 am

i think the glass is always half full and half empty,only depending on your perception of reality at any paticular moment does it change ,so all that realiy matters is you be yourself.whoever that is only you can decide.