If God Is Your Co-Pilot…

If God Is Your Co-Pilot
Switch Seats!

I saw that piece of advice on a signboard outside a church a few days ago. Got a good chuckle from it. I have a feeling it’s good marketing for the church.

Personally, it’s not advice that I would choose to follow. I’m not here to be chauffered around. I want to be in the driver’s seat. Sure, I may make a few wrong turns now and again. But that’s all part of the process.

How about you? If God offered to move over into the driver’s seat of your life, would you accept?

11 Responses to “If God Is Your Co-Pilot…”

1. Aaron M. Potts on July 19th, 2007 11:51 am

Well, I’m not quite sure how to say this, given the religious implications here, but…

Hell no!

I’m driving, and if God wants to participate, then starting a good philosophical conversation would be a great way to pass the time as we wile away the highway miles! 🙂

2. Quint Jensen on July 19th, 2007 12:21 pm

In the context of Christianity, this makes perfect sense. God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. Why wouldn’t you want to have Him in the driver’s seat?

I recently made a decision to leave the church. I don’t know if it is temporary or permanent, but it is working for now. One of the reasons I struggled with Christianity was this concept of the external god who controls all things. By letting Him drive, we relinquish control, yes, but also responsibility. If bad things happen, it must be God’s will, because he’s driving the bus. If good things happen, then praise the lord, God’s taking care of us.

I am more in tune with the idea that I create my life by my thoughts and actions. I am responsible for the world I create. In a way, if I am in the driver’s seat maybe God is already there.

3. Edward Mills on July 19th, 2007 12:50 pm

Aaron: Now you’re talking… a good philosophical conversation with God on the road to … wherever. I like it!

4. Edward Mills on July 19th, 2007 12:53 pm

Quint: You hit it on the head with: “By letting Him drive, we relinquish control, yes, but also responsibility.” I believe that’s what gets a lot of us in trouble.

Obviously there’s a balance to be found. If we want to be Co-Creators, than we need to let God, or Source, or Whatever name you put on the Divine intelligence, into the process.

5. Lee on July 20th, 2007 5:15 am

Honestly, I don’t think God wants to be the pilot. What would happen to free will?

6. Sandy Murphey on September 9th, 2007 8:29 pm

The statement that “God is my co-pilot” doesn’t mean to me that God is in the driver’s seat, but more in an equal position, or even in a secondary position.

In real life terms, I’m not clear at all if the “co-pilot” just takes over when the pilot wants a break, or there’s a crisis, or if they’re actually pushing different buttons at the same time.

As Ed mentioned in his recent blog “16 Personal Development Lessons From Harry Potter”, the first lesson is

“You Can’t Do It Alone”. You can try, but it’s easier to have some support you can trust.

7. Edward Mills on September 11th, 2007 7:13 pm

Great point Sandy! I like the perspective that pilot and co-pilot are equal partners. That feels good.

8. Satish on October 13th, 2007 8:24 am

I asked Him to switch seats. He said: “Look, son! It is me who has put you in the driver’s seat. Stop complaining and let us go!”

9. Jesse McLain on October 16th, 2007 8:17 pm

Maybe the deal with God is not about whose in charge of a moving vehicle (pilot or co-pilot) but rather it is about a dance and God is simply leading.

Adam and Eve were told to “name the creatures” in the garden. This was not the attachment of a label, but since Jewish thought saw words as creative and formative, this became an act of creation WITH God.

We have in God, both the authority to exercise the creative gifts he has endowed us with, and a responsibility for the use of those gifts.

10. Sheila on January 5th, 2009 10:12 am

God is perfect with a perfect plan; I am imperfect. God is all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful; I cannot know what lies ahead or what tomorrow will bring. With limited knowlege, limited vision, limited understanding, it would be sad NOT to allow Him to be in charge of my life. The ABUNDANT life He promised only happens when life is about HIM and not me! The trust, the sense of peace, the rest, the comfort, the amazing joy that brings is what all who insist on doing the driving will miss. Self-sufficient people live with such profound limitation…limited by their own resourses and resourcefulness; those who choose to place their lives in the hands of their Creator have access to all He is and has…we can know and experience HIS power, HIS wisdom, HIS amazing love, and travel on our journey with HIm to places we could never have gone on our own.

Drive yourself and travel little; let Him dirve and the whole world, including an eternal one, opens up to you. You have the freedom to choose…it’s called free will. Your choice determins the quality of life you wlll live. Jeremiah 29:11-13. When you know that His choices for you are ALWAYS in your best interest, you will gladly switch seats!

11. Jantesviker on March 8th, 2009 11:42 am

I would stop the car and step out.