Law of Attraction Lessons From The Pursuit of Happyness

My wife and I finally watched the movie, The Pursuit of Happyness on Saturday night.
If you have not yet seen it, I highly recommend it to all Deliberate Creators. There are many valuable Law of Attraction lessons in this film.

Perhaps the most important is Chris Gardner’s (Will Smith) faith in the future he knows is possible and his unwavering determination to attain it no matter what challenges he faces along the way.

Often, in my own work with the Law of Attraction, and in my observation of others, I notice a tendency to question our intentions or pull back from our desires when the going gets rough.

So much of the teaching around the Law of Attraction focuses on ease and grace. And while I believe that a life of ease and grace is absolutely possible, I also know that on the way there, we are going to hit some bumps in the road.

But because the Law of Attraction teachings focus so much on the ease and grace it can be very tempting, when the journey gets a bit bumpy, to wonder what we are doing wrong and why the Law of Attraction is not working.

The Law of Attraction never stops working. And we are not doing anything wrong. But in those times when the path gets steep or you seem to lose your way, it is more important than ever to remember the vision, the goal, the intention towards which you are moving.

It almost feels as if we are being tested along the way, being asked, “are you SURE you really want this?”

Every time we say “Yes, I really want this,” and take a determined step forward, the Universe responds with more resources.

But every time we question and doubt. Every time we wonder, “do I really want this?” Every time we hesitate or turn back, the Universe must respond by pull those resources back. It has no choice: That is how Law of Attraction works.

Like attracts like. And the level of your determination and focus and enthusiasm determines the level of support the Universe can provide for you.

So in those times when the path seems difficult and you are questioning yourself, see if you can pull up enough energy to say “yes” just one more time.

And then, maybe just once more after that…

And if you want some inspiration in this area, go watch The Pursuit of Happyness.

12 Responses to “Law of Attraction Lessons From The Pursuit of Happyness”

1. MyVisualizationTool.com on July 9th, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks Edward,

The Pursuit of Happyness is great movie. I really enjoyed watching it. I hadn’t learned about the law of attraction when I watched it, but I loved it from a sales person’s point of view. It is truly not giving up and believing in the future. Even when the world knocks you down to the ground, he believed. And still being able to raise his son with a positive additute toward life. A true lesson for the law of attraction.

2. Chris on July 10th, 2007 4:30 am

“…the level of your determination and focus and enthusiasm determines the level of support the Universe can provide for you.”

With you 100 percent on that Edward.

3. Steve on July 10th, 2007 9:48 am

Hey Edward,

I especially loved this movie; I love the part at the end when Chris Gardner gets offerred the job with the firm. I cried a river when this happened…. surely this was something about me.

Stephen Martile
        Personal Development with NLP

4. James Soh on July 12th, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Edward,

You are right in that most LOA teaching focus too much on ease and grace. So much so that many could not handle the first bump that hits them. They usually panics and takes a step back and doubts sets in after that.

Great and Thanks

5. Edward Mills on July 25th, 2007 1:58 pm

Woah. Sorry everybody for missing these comments. I definitely did not mean to ignore you!

MVT: Watching this movie from a sales perspective can provide an whole realm of wonderful insights!

Chris: Thanks for picking out that particular quote from the article. I actually needed to hear that again just now!

Steve
        : Lots of tears for me with this movie also. I have a feeling it struck a chord with a lot of folks.

James
        : I agree and have found that the Universe really does respond when we move through those moments of doubt!

6. Niya Christine on July 28th, 2007 10:09 am

Hi Ed.
        I just love your blog more and more all the time.
        I’m experiencing this one in particular as I finish up a script that producers have requested (based on my novel). So many tests. People showing up and challenging me, and life circumstances– all seem to be saying “Who the hell do you think you are? Only 400 scripts a year get accepted into Hollywood from writers who have been at it for years.” I just keep writing even if it hurts.
        So thank you for this. Its what I’ll take with me to the page today.

Niya

7. I. Cruz on July 30th, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi, I had seen the movie, but had not made the connection. You’re right, this movie is a good example of the Law of Attraction in action.

8. Edward Mills on July 30th, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Niya. Wow. Congratulations on the script! I know you have what it takes to persist. I have a feeling that you could come up with some pretty darn good answers to the question “Who the hell do you think you are?” In fact, why don’t you! It might help you get through this bumpy spot.

9. Niya Christine on August 2nd, 2007 6:50 am

Thank you Ed.

I will do that, right after the final scene on the script. I’m just pages away. It’s so exciting.

I’ll email you my who the hell do I think I am answers very soon. I love it!

10. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 8:10 am

I. Cruz. Welcome to Evolving Times. At first, I didn’t see it as a Law of Attraction movie. But after I sat with it for a while, I really got the connection.

11. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 8:11 am

Niya. You Go! I can’t wait to hear your answers. I hope one will be “I Rock!”

12. How Will You Celebrate YOUR Independence? on July 4th, 2008 7:39 am

[…] We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. What holds you back from fully living? What restricts your liberty? What prevents you from fully engaging in the pursuit of happiness? […]