Catch It, Zap It, and Turn It Around

Have you ever caught yourself in the midst of grumbling over something that’s actually quite good?

Have you ever been so focused on what’s not in the picture that you’ve missed all the awesome stuff that IS there?

Most of us are programmed to focus on what’s not working, what’s wrong, what needs fixing. The problem is that the Law of Attraction tells us that what we focus on expands. So, focus on what’s wrong and guess what you get more of.

Here’s an incident that’s still fresh in my memory even though it occurred almost a year ago. It serves as a great reminder to me of how powerful the draw is to focus on the negative.

I had taken on a consulting job with a local company. One day, on my way out for lunch, I saw that my first check had arrived. I took it with me and headed over to the bank to deposit on my way to lunch.

When I arrived at the bank I was quite excited to deposit the $1,700.00 that I had invoiced them. It was a nice extra chunk of money! So I opened the envelope and took the check out.

But when I looked at the check it was only for $1,300.00!

My excitement immediately evaporated, and was replaced by confusion, disappointment and even a touch of anger. “What’s up? I’m supposed to have $1700, not $1300. This isn’t right.”

My thoughts, feelings and vibrations all took a nose-dive down to the lower end of the emotional spectrum. Here I was frustrated, disappointed and angry at the fact that I had a $1300 check in my hands!

Do you get what’s wrong with that picture?

Fortunately, I caught myself. I saw what I was doing. Basically, my vibrational offering was telling the Universe, “No, no, I don’t want this. This is no good. Take it away and don’t send me any more!”ร‚ย  And that was most definitely not what I wanted to say to the Universe!

I heard the voice of my inner Deliberate Creator say, “Step away from the ATM machine sir, until you are able to approach it with gratitude and appreciation!”

So I did a little mental rewind. I literally backed up from the ATM machine, took a deep breath in and began consciously shifting my thoughts and feelings.

I almost laughed out loud when I realized the insanity of my experience. There I was standing in front of the ATM machine with a $1300 check in my hand telling the Universe it wasn’t enough!
\
The problem is, the Universe doesn’t deal in “enough.” The Universe is like a big computer, yes or no, on or off. Do you want it or not? I was saying “No.”

And if I was saying “No” to that $1300 check you can bet that I was saying no to a lot of other money that could have been flowing my way!

So in that moment, I coined the phrase, “Catch it. Zap it. Turn it around.”

First, I caught myself saying “no” to that money. This is actually the most important step. You can’t zap it if you don’t catch it!

Then I zapped the thoughts and feelings that had come up. Lightening up, taking yourself less seriously and even having at good chuckle at your own ridiculousness is a good way to start zapping.

And finally, I turned it around. I consciously shifted my thoughts and feelings into gratitude and excitement. And only then did I step back up to that ATM machine to deposit that beautiful check.

So remember, catch it, zap it, turn it around!

You may not be successful the first time, but if you keep practicing, you’ll eventually get a good zap in and then you can turn it around.

And that’s when the real fun begins!

22 Responses to “Catch It, Zap It, and Turn It Around”

1. Carl Zetterlund on August 17th, 2007 8:08 am

I love your mindset!

So many people do that it’s insane. Even if it was a mistake, it would have been fixed later anyway.

I’m curious… was it really supposed to be $1700?

๐Ÿ™‚

2. Steve on August 17th, 2007 6:03 am

Hey Edward,

Great post by the way, well written.

I think it’s so funny that you brought this up. I’ve been curiously playing with these two questions:

1) Why isn’t this working?

VS

2) Why is this working?

I think that most people default to no.1 when stuff happens. Not only does this lead to more of what’s not working but it is also a terrible question to ask because it leads to negative thinking and negative emotions.

Question no.2 on the other hand is a great question! It get’s you thinking about how you’ve created all these amazing things which makes you more magnetic and attractive. The more you remind yourself and think about why all these great things are happening, you become more attractive and magnetic.

Cheers,

Stephen Martile
        Personal Development with NLP

3. Michael S. Copeland on August 17th, 2007 9:27 am

I totally agree.

In fact, today there was an angry road rage guy behind me. He honked his horn if I took longer that 1 second at a stop sign.

The old me would have gotten out of the car. However, I just laughed and was greatful he was there in my life today. I hoped he wasn’t in any danger or an emergency causing him the need to speed.

It didn’t really phase me at all, like it used to.

4. Theresa Cahill on August 17th, 2007 11:30 am

Last night while watching the docudrama (for lack of a better way of explaining it) on Discovery (I think) about Ice Truckers, your blog came to my mind. The reason?

One of the drivers has had nothing but trouble all season (apparently). Every time the guy turned around something was wrong with his truck, the trailers, what have you. He bi_ched and complained and felt sorry for himself, etc., etc., and never once appeared to see that he was attracting even more troubles to himself.

We (my husband and I) actually had a great conversation based on this observation.

Today, reading your post, brings home the point that you do attract whatever you put out there. Just be sure you know what it is, and that that is what you are after…

Thanks as always Edward!

5. Aaron Potts on August 17th, 2007 4:24 pm

Edward,

Awesome post! It’s such a simple mind shift to make, yet oh so powerful when done over the long-term.

Also, the idea behind doing this is that eventually it becomes more than just a habit – it becomes second nature. Who wouldn’t want to have the best possible attitude about something without even needing to think about it? Sign me up for that! ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s. – Stephen – I LOVE your idea! When something happens that we don’t enjoy, by asking ourself “Why is this working?” we can immediately identify the culprit and get rid of it.

6. Andrea Hess on August 17th, 2007 5:28 pm

Great post! I think we’ve been conditioned to constantly be in a “fix it” and “bigger and better” mindset that we actually go looking for problems and issues! It’s so wonderful to focus on all that we have, rather than what we think isn’t available to us.

Blessings,
        Andrea

7. Harveen on August 18th, 2007 12:15 pm

Its so easy to fall into the negative, esp. when things aren’t going well. To be able to consciously change your train of thought is something, I think, you need to condition yourself to do. Once learnt, it’s something you can utilize to your benefit for the rest of your life. Thanks for article, I really enjoyed it.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.รขโ‚ฌย

-Winston Churchill

8. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on August 18th, 2007 9:15 am

Edward, thanks for this article. “Catch it, zap it and turn it around.” is a great idea and so simply that it will be easy to remember.

I have a couple of friends like the ice trucker mentioned in Theresa’s comment. They just don’t believe that the Law of Attraction works. My comment is the same as what the Secret says, if you don’t believe in the Law of Attraction, just look at what you are attracting by your disbelief statements.

9. jim redmond on August 18th, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I too sometimes feel like the law of attraction does not work until I reflect on all the gifts I have thought in to my life. Thanks also for a new phrase of catch it, zap it ,and turn it around. I will be using it a lot. jim

10. Michael S. Copeland on August 18th, 2007 12:31 pm

Man I have to post again because something WORSE happened to me, or actually, let’s call it BETTER!

I have a website, a community/gathering area for people growing with the Law of Attraction. Last night at 9:30pm Central Time (USA) hundreds of people were going to come there and join in a big chat on the new chat system I had installed.

20 min before the time, I couldn’t get to the site. Now it is 22 hours later and TheSecretGathering.com is STILL down! I put up a separate page while it’s down though.

BUT the biggest thing is, I REALLY learned a VERY valuable lesson. I am SO VERY GRATEFUL this has happened. Now I’m building redundancy with TSG and the other websites I have too.

11. Linda on August 18th, 2007 10:27 pm

What a cool message. Good for when I get to have a check like that…. never be ungrateful.

12. Ken Williams on August 19th, 2007 2:33 am

Catch it…….Zap it……Turn it around.

I love it.

The phrase is now in position above my computer desk.

I’ve been too guilty of the negative thoughts and the anger/emotional side of working alone doing Internet Marketing.

Thanks for the great advice.

13. Dean on August 18th, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi Ed,

I always enjoy reading your work. This is a great post.

I’ve caught myself a couple of times opening the envelope with expectations of more and being disappointed when it was less. It took me a few minutes to realize what that was doing and corrected myself.

14. David Tupica on August 20th, 2007 5:36 am

I just returned from an awesome vacation with my two children ages 12 and 13 in Las Vegas. It was wonderful except for the extreme heat, nearly 110 everyday. It was so easy for the children to have a bad attitude because of the heat. But, when I saw this happening, I would change the conversation to what we had done so far in the day, what was left to do, and what did they think was the best so far. By just changing their focus, attitudes changes immediately, and our family vacation was the most exciting ever, even in 110 degree heat.

15. Steve on August 20th, 2007 5:35 am

thanks Aaron,

There were so many great things happening to me last week that I couldn’t help but ask,

‘Why is this working?’

Eventually my brain came up with some really great reasons (ie. the Law of Attrraction), which led me to even more great reasons and an even greater feeling of more great things to come!

Cheers,

Stephen Martile
        Personal Development with NLP

16. Edward Mills on August 21st, 2007 11:06 am

Wow. I love it when you all take an idea and run with it like this! Great comments.

Steve. I love the turnaround from “Why isn’t this working?” to “Why is this working?” It puts the responsibility right back on our shoulders – in a good way. You could also turnaround the question, “Why am I getting what I don’t want?” to “I know I’m getting exactly what I’m asking for, so why am I asking for this?” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Aaron, the idea is definitely to have this become second nature. Hasn’t happened for me yet! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Harveen, thanks for the Churchill quote. It’s awesome!

Michael, good job turning your “disaster” around into an opportunity. It’s great that you’re attracting that many people to your gatherings. And now you’ve learned to have some backup.

Dean, your comment made me realize that I’ve done this with birthday checks as well. Have any of you done that: When you open your birthday card you have an expectation that you’ll be getting a certain amount and then you find yourself disappointed at the amount or that there is no check that year? Same thing: Catch it. Zap it. Turn it around!

David, I’ve found that children are so flexible in their feelings/vibrations. You really can head a “meltdown” off at the pass by shifting their focus. But of course, to do that requires you to be in a high vibration so that they can join you there. Good work in Las Vegas.

17. Theresa on August 21st, 2007 11:37 am

Hi again Edward!

Couldn’t pass up the chance to come back and say two things:

1. I truly admire your dedication to your blog! Not many blog owners take the time to comment on comments – that’s truly something

and

2. The other day after “putting it out there” about money [read “we need some!” lol] in comes checks from my online business (mywizardads.com in this case) from clickbank. At first I found myself thinking, “Hmmm not enough” and then I went, “Holy Cow! Be careful and rethink that!” Having caught myself I pulled out my handy calculator, added things up and realized we’ll be just fine. Leaving moment to moment still, but fine nevertheless (hubby has been unemployed for several months).

What I’m trying to say is thank you! It was remembering this post that helped me pull my head out and appreciate what had just arrived ๐Ÿ™‚

All the best,
        Theresa

18. Sue on August 22nd, 2007 4:28 am

Busted! Mental retraining is such a wonderful discipline. It’s amazing how the whole sifting process goes – at first we find these huge boulders we’ve let into our minds, and clean them out. Then the sieve gets a little finer, and finer.

I love how Harv Eker put it, about becoming a ‘crap magnet’ if we aren’t careful about what we say!

19. Edward Mills on August 22nd, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Theresa. I try my best to keep up with the comments. Sometimes, as with this post, the comments come in so fast that I can’t get to them all. But I love seeing all of you taking the concept and turning it into a conversation!

And great job catching that negative thought. And then you used the “calculator method” to turn it around. Way to go!

Sue. That’s a great way of expressing it: Start by cleaning out the boulders and work your way down to the sand! It sure is easy to become a “crap magnet.” Been there, done that. Not going back!

20. Shirley on August 24th, 2007 3:30 pm

It can be so easy to look fall prey to the negative when either tiny or even great trials shadow our pathway and keep out the sunshine. I’m grateful that God is always there to move my heart in the right direction, to make me strong, and keep me humble.

Of course, there are those times that I want to listen to those negative whispers and sometimes I go through a struggle, but there’s just more peace in doing it God’s way.

We really don’t need to grab and grapple or try to fix anything. But it’s best to learn to be content in whatever circumstance, whether in prosperity or in humble means.

Thanks so much for a great piece of advice.

21. kenneth daniels on September 19th, 2007 2:12 pm

Great Post!!
        I’m going to try to remember your experience. I just recieved a refund check for $30 & I sluffed it off because that money wasn’t going to do that much to my financial situation. So much for gratitude & using the law of attraction for me ,instead of agains’t me. Think You for driving that point home. It’s going to help ,because I can relate from my recent experience & for now it’s etched in my mind
        Ken

22. T. Dorsey on December 12th, 2007 3:49 pm

Catch it, zap it, turn it around! I really like that.