Stretching Your Comfort Zone Fuels Your Doubts

Now matter how many times I experience it, I’m still amazed by how quickly and silently doubts creep in to my thoughts when I’m not paying attention. This is especially true when I’m moving out of my comfort zone and into unknown territory.

Yesterday’s announcement of the start of the Law of Attraction Carnival celebration was a bit of a stretch for me. It’s the first time I have really stuck my flag in the ground and said, “I’m here, I’ve got valuable content and I want you to come join me!”

It was an even bigger stretch of my comfort zone to go out and round up the great prizes (and they really are great!) I’ve lined up to generate some buzz for this celebration and ethically bribe more folks to come check out Evolving Times.

And, coincidentally or not, an interesting thing happened after I posted yesterday’s announcement.

When I woke up this morning and logged on to Evolving Times I saw that my subscriber count had shrunk from 446 to 345. A 25% decrease!

Immediately the doubts started creeping in.

“What did I do wrong?”
“How did I alienate so many of my readers?”
“Should I just forget this whole celebration thing?”

Fortunately, I’ve experienced this enough to know not to buy into that part of my mind. Believe me, I’ve bought into those tempting and seductive doubts many times in the past, and doing so just dumps you right back down where you started!

I’ve also learned that working through those doubts on my on can often be a long and tedious process. The quickest and easiest method I have discovered for moving through those doubts is to call in the cavalry!

And so I did. I immediately sent an email out to my blogging friends and support team asking for their feedback.

In less than 30-minutes I had replies from Gayla, Aaron, Dawud, Wendy and Dan affirming my guess that the drop in subscribers was probably a Feedburner glitch (turns out they dropped all the feedburner email subscribers – 124 – from the count today) and confirming my belief that the post, the celebration, the contest, and the prizes all provide benefit and value for my readers.

Doubts have a very hard time hanging on in the presence of outside support. It can be quite difficult to disable your own internal doubts. But when you ask for support from others, and receive positive feedback, the doubts just melt away. They can’t survive the heat of the truth.

No one is immune to these creeping doubts. If you are actively engaged in personal development you probably experience them on a daily basis.

And if you’re not actively pushing yourself to move out of your comfort zone, you may not notice them, but those silent doubts are what keeps you tethered to your comfort zone.

I strongly doubt that these doubts ever go away, no matter how “advanced” or “evolved” you become.

Joe Vitale, someone who has clearly achieved a high level of mastery of the Law of Attraction, had doubts when he had a surprisingly similar blog-related experience. Joe writes, “Amazing how the mind falls back to negativity if it isn’t guarded against.”

Joe used his hot-tub, his virtual “think tank,” to unravel the power of his doubts and get back on track. I used my support system, my friends to unravel mine.

What do you use? How do you unravel the power of your doubts when you are venturing out of your comfort zone?

Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.

17 Responses to “Stretching Your Comfort Zone Fuels Your Doubts”

1. Mital on August 2nd, 2007 12:59 pm

Great post Edward! When I fall into doubt, I remind myself of my unlimited infinite beingness. Sometime I just open up The Power Of Intention by Wayne Dyer, and that usually does the trick. Regularly communing with Source energy through meditation, prayer and gratitude on a regular basis helps keep the doubt to a minimum. But, like you said I don’t know if you can every completely eliminate it.

Any way we deal with it, the key is to shift our focus from “what we don’t desire,” all the doubts and fears, to “what we do want desire,” empowering progressive thoughts.

🙂

2. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 1:30 pm

Mital: Welcome to Evolving Times, and to the blogosphere. Thanks for jumping in and starting this conversation. You make some great points. Daily meditation/contemplation is a great way to keep those doubts quiet. As is listening to or reading inspiring words such as Wayne Dyer’s.

I hope to see you around here more!

3. Jennifer on August 2nd, 2007 3:20 pm

I am impressed! I found this blog only weeks ago! It’s ironic that as you ventured into unknown territory, on the same day it has happened to me. Soon, I feel the universe will shift. A new opportunity to grow (professionally and personally) is on the horizon. I am so comfortable in my current job. It’s so true straying from comfort brings in doubts. I try to stick to the positive as the negative doesn’t help anyone! If I am feeling doubtful, I remember that comfort, though predictable, is not as much fun and I can’t grow as much when things are tedious and predictable. Where’s the challenge in that? I love your idea for the contest and I wish you all the best!

4. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi Jennifer: Welcome to Evolving Times! I love this “comfort, though predictable, is not as much fun..” So true. So let’s have some fun and keep on growing!

5. Zakaria Mohamad on August 2nd, 2007 8:42 pm

Great Post!!

Best Wishes From Malaysia

6. Edward Mills on August 2nd, 2007 9:44 pm

Zakaria: Welcome. And thanks for the well wishes from across the globe!

7. Errol on August 3rd, 2007 5:59 am

I am grateful to Andrea Conway at successfullselfemployment.com for pointing me to this blog. I am simply amazed at the number of categories of help and information you provide. Wow!! Great job!!!

8. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on August 3rd, 2007 7:33 am

I recently wrote an article as a writing assignment given out on another blog that I read. It was off my usual topic of Spirituality. After I posted it, I began to have doubts about whether I shoud have posted it and how it was going to affect my stats. I ended it with a question, “How am I doing?” which my readers then answered positively. It turns out that I got more comments from my readers than I have on any other article that I have written. The other blog hasn’t even posted his part of the writing assignment yet.

9. Mike on August 3rd, 2007 11:26 am

Edward,

When I feel fear and doubt, I take Susan Jeffers’ advice in Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway: I say out loud or write down “I can handle [insert fear here]!”

Mike

10. Jennifer on August 3rd, 2007 12:21 pm

I’m back! I also think that when our comfort is disturbed, things come to us. Many options may open up, if we allow it to happen. Ironically, some options that we may not think we want will also open up. But it’s funny- when we think about what we don’t want because sometimes what we don’t want is really (sometimes) what we fear to try! (How do you know you won’t like it until you try it?) Of course, within reason!
        Also sometimes if we continue to think “I don’t want to…” etc.. you focus on that and it becomes yours. So if you really don’t want it, don’t think about not wanting it- think about what you DO want! 😉

11. Harveen on August 4th, 2007 10:59 am

How revealing and true-to all of us!

When I have fears and doubt that start to creep in, I immediately stop whatever it is I’m doing, and start repeating an affirmation I begin my day with in which I empower myself for the day, everyday.

Doing this brings my focus back to the positive right away.

12. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:21 am

Welcome Errol. And thanks again to Andrea for sending over such great folks!

13. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:25 am

Patricia: I was just having an offline discussion with some of the members of the Positive Blog Network about that exact subject. We came to the conclusion that it’s very difficult to know what is going to generate the most interest. Most of us have had the experience of putting up a post we thought for sure would be successful only to see minimal interest. And we’ve also seen posts that we thought were “filler” generate huge interest through comments, bookmarks, etc.

I suppose the moral of the story is, you just don’t know what people want. So put it all out there and see what happens!

14. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:28 am

Great advice Mike. Thanks for sharing that bit of wisdom from Susan Jeffers!

Welcome back Jennifer. It does get a bit confusing, trying to figure out if what we want is really what we want, or if what we are resisting is really what we want. Because, as you point out, sometimes what we say we don’t want is really what we want but we’re just afraid we can’t get it or we’ll fail or someone else will get it before us…

15. Andrea Conway on August 4th, 2007 10:27 am

Hi Edward
        I’m so glad you moved through your doubt, and I appreciate your honesty about how hard it was. Although doubt is the doorway to great things, it is miserable to deal with! But the proof that it’s worth it to ride out doubt is right here in this post — you’ve clearly touched and benefited many people! My newsletter went out yesterday (hello & thanks to Errol for mentioning it) — so far 111 subscribers have visited your Party announcement post. Thanks for creating this wonderful rallying event for all of us.

16. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Andrea. Many thanks to you for getting the word out about the celebration. From the comments I’m seeing from your subscribers I can tell you’re attracting some great people!

I’m looking forward to sharing your awesome gift for the Subscriber’s Bonus Package with the readers next week!

17. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 8:02 pm

Harveen. That’s a great suggestion. Having an affirmation ready to go when you feel the doubt come on can be extremely helpful! Thanks.