Weave Your Web Where No One Will Walk Through It

It’s spider-time here. Each year in late summer a slew of little light brown stripy spiders takes up residence outside of our house. Yes, the outside part is good!

Every morning when I step out onto the front porch, at least 3 or 4 of their perfectly woven webs great me, sparkling in the light of the rising sun. It’s a beautiful sight.

Unfortunately there always seems to be one in the bunch that has a hard time with the concept of “Location, location, location.” This one little guy or gal inevitably builds a web right in the middle of the stairway leading to the door. And because of the way the threads are attached there’s no room to duck under or step over.

So unfortunately, there is no choice but to dismantle the web.

I wish there was another way. I wish I could pick up the entire web and move it over. But I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

Usually, I sit on the step for a moment, admiring the beauty of the web and acknowledging the skill that went into its creation.

And then I gently disconnect one of the anchor threads, giving the spider a chance to gather up the threads, before disconnecting the next one.

This morning as I admired an exceptional example of web weaving that happened to be smack dab in the middle of the stairway, I began to consider how many times I have built my web in the middle of a road, metaphorically speaking, of course.

Just like that spider’s web, our creations are delicate things; it doesn’t take much to destroy them. And if we create them in a spot where they will not be welcomed or worse, where they will be seen as a nuisance, it’s very likely that they will be damaged or destroyed.

Have you ever been to a restaurant that was displaying art that was heavy and dark and downright unappetizing? Have you ever heard a musician playing beautiful, sweet music in the corner of a loud, rowdy bar?

For every edition of the Law of Attraction Carnival there are at least 3-4 submissions that, while beautifully written, have nothing to do with the Law of Attraction. So I have to break the news to the authors that their entries will not be included.

Sometimes it seems that we have a collective belief that our creativity is not going to be accepted and appreciated. So we set ourselves up for failure – unconsciously of course – by choosing locations for our creative expression that are obviously inappropriate. On some level, we have an expectation that our creation will be rejected and so we attract that reality into our lives.

Can you think of times in your life when you have built your web right in the middle of a doorway? What did it feel like when that first person opened the door and walked right through it?

Can you imagine a different scenario in which you build your web in a different spot, a place where it will be seen and admired and valued for its beauty and uniqueness?

Now, one thing I’ve noticed about these spiders is that as the season progresses there are fewer webs built on the stairway. Now I can’t tell you if this is because the spiders get smart and figure out that the stairs are not a great place to build their webs or, if it’s because the spiders that keep building their webs on the stairs die.

But what I can tell you is that we’re smarter than spiders (I can sense some of you getting ready to argue that point). Albert Einstein once said, or perhaps it was Benjamin Franklin, or maybe no one of any particular merit actually ever said it: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

It doesn’t actually matter if anyone ever said it. The point is that we can learn from our experiences and try it differently the next time.

What creative project are you working on that might benefit from a slight change in location?

8 Responses to “Weave Your Web Where No One Will Walk Through It”

1. Lyman Reed on August 30th, 2007 12:07 pm

That’s a great question, Ed… and a beautiful post to back it up. I sometimes have the same problem with the Personal Development Carnival… and sometimes the submitters don’t understand that has nothing to do with their writing – it’s just that it didn’t fit (and I’m pretty open about topics.)

I’ll have to think more about just where my own webs are, and if they really belong there.

2. Ken Daniels on August 30th, 2007 11:13 pm

I totally agree , if you are trying to get your message out, even if it’s the greatest it could be written & it’s falling on ears that don’t want to listen ,can’t use the information. It is time to redirect , because their is a vast audience who is searching for that very special message you have to share

3. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on August 31st, 2007 6:40 am

Edward, I like the way that you used the spider webs as examples to make the point of your story. Thanks. I will remember to look to see how many times today, I may be putting my web in someone else’s way.

4. Beacon Bloggers - August 2007 - Outfit Inspirations on September 10th, 2007 8:25 pm

[…] it get any better than Edward’s beautiful analogy of the spider’s web in his post “Weave Your Web Where No One Will Walk Through It” (30th August 2007)? This is a timely reminder that we can learn from our experiences and weave our […]

5. Edward Mills on September 11th, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks Lyman. What I don’t understand is why some of the folks who submit entries to the carnival even bother. They must know that their entry has nothing to do with the Law of Attraction.

Of course, on the other hand, I’m sure that I’m guilty of the same lack of awareness in other areas of my life.

Patricia. What have you noticed?

6. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on September 11th, 2007 9:54 pm

Edward, with your carnival, I know exactly what kind of article to submit. I have submitted a few articles to other carnivals that I wasn’t certain exactly what they were looking for and they were turned down. I have had more accepted than rejected. I have also picked certain carnivals that I like better than others to submit my articles to. There are some carnivals that it doesn’t seem to matter what anybody submits, it is accepted. In each carnival that I submit an article to, I go through each carnival and read all of the articles in the carnival. The ones that I like, I leave a comment on. Some of the articles I glance at and skip over because I am beginning to recognise the names as someone that I am not interested in reading because they are not on topic or I prefer a different style of writing or I don’t sense any depth to the article. Some articles just seem to be written just for the sake of getting the article in a carnival with no particular thought to content. I want articles that make me think, that stretch my comfort zone, that make me say, “Well, I don’t know about that.” or “Gee, I never thought of that in that manner before.” Edward, your articles and carnival are among my favorites. Lyman, I haven’t read much of your blog yet, but when I get back from my India trip in October, I will definitely start reading more of yours. I like what I have seen so far. Edward, is this what you were asking me for?

7. Edward Mills on September 12th, 2007 8:46 am

Patricia. That is exactly the type of awareness that can prevent us from weaving our web in the “wrong” place. Good for you for taking the time and making clear choices.

I hope that you’ll be posting some blog entries about your India trip!

And definitely go check out Lyman’s blog when you return.

8. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on September 12th, 2007 12:36 pm

Edward, I definitely will be writing about my India experience. I make the time to journal every day on these trips because they are the best part of my spiritual journey. This will be my 3rd trip. The last time was in 1999. In so many ways, this trip will be different from the other 2. Everything is taken care of except getting our airplane tickets. We waited this late because of me having to renew my Passport. Even that was Divine planning. I would have gone to the airport to get on the plane and discovered that the passport needed to be renewed if not for seeing Jeff Goldblum on a talk show telling about his experience. Apparently, your passport has to be good for at least another 6 monts in case you get stranded in the country. Mine was due to expire in Feb. 2008. I decided to go ahead and renew it just to be safe. New passports have a wait of up to 6 months. Renewals take about 10-12 weeks. I got mine back in about 6 weeks.