When In Doubt Do Something

When in Doubt,
Do Something.
– Harry Chapin

I’ve written before about the importance of Action in the Law of Attraction. But because we talk so much about Inspired Action many people seem to have a hard time knowing where to start when they don’t necessarily feel inspired.

So the question often comes up, “How do I show the Universe what I want when I don’t know where to start? Don’t I need the inspiration to begin.”

Short answer: No.

Along the path of manifestation there will be many moments when, in order to see your your intention through to completion that you need to act even though you’re not feeling particularly inspired.

I sometimes get the feeling that many people are waiting for the lightning bolt to come from the Universe letting them know that “THIS IS IT!”

Well I don’t think it happens that way. It certainly hasn’t happened that way for me.

In my experience true, sustainable inspiration doesn’t come from the Universe but rather from within you. And the best way I have discovered to awaken my inspiration is through action.

I’ve shared this quote from Tich Nahct Hahn with you before. He said:

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

You could very easily replace smile and joy with inspiration and action:

Sometimes your inspiration is the source of your action, but sometimes your action can be the source of your inspiration.

As Harry Chapin said, in the quote above, “When in doubt, Do something!”

If you’re not feeling inspired, take action, any action, and allow that action to kindle the flame of inspiration within you.

If you wait for the inspiration to return, you may find yourself waiting for a long time!

But if you start moving, you’ll begin to find your inspiration bubbling up and out. And when that happens, you become an inspiration for others! You begin to uplift those around you. And that is what the Law of Attraction is all about!

So what action are you going to take today?

12 Responses to “When In Doubt Do Something”

1. Aaron M. Potts on August 3rd, 2007 12:27 pm

Ed,

This is great wisdom, to be sure, and what I like about it the most is that it puts the power squarely back where it belongs – with the individual.

Yes, we can get inspired by the LOA to take action, but since everything is connected, it is often our own action that opens the door that allows us to see or feel that inspiration.

This happens to me frequently, so I want to personally attest to its effectiveness.

2. Stephen Hopson on August 4th, 2007 2:58 am

Ed:

Your post truly reminded me not to wait to get inspired to do something. I have to remind myself that, for example, if I am trying to think of what to write for my blog, if I’m not feeling inspired, I won’t write.

But your post reminded me that simply by taking action (i.e. powering up the computer, going into my blogger account and clicking on “new post”) I usually get a bubbling sensation from within and ideas begin to flow! All because I took action instead of waiting for the inspiration to come.

Very good post! Thanks.

3. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:07 am

Aaron: Isn’t that, ultimately, what the Law of Attraction and all true personal growth teachings are about… Self Responsibility?

It’s easy to get caught up in the trap of looking for the answers and/or inspiration outside of ourselves. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with using external sources for inspiration. But when it’s all said and done, the true inspiration to act must come from within.

And like you, I have found that sometimes it is the action that fuels the inspiration, not the other way around!

4. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:09 am

Hi Stephen: Welcome! I love that “bubbling sensation” you mention. It’s so wonderful feeling that inspiration bubbling up when I start to take action, especially after I’ve fallen into the trap o “waiting” for it.

5. Priscilla Palmer on August 4th, 2007 10:42 am

Ed,

What excellent timing for this post. I’ve felt a bit uninspired today so, I decided to go looking for a little motivation. Thank you for the reminder that we have the power to create what we need within ourselves.

6. Self Improvement and Law of Attraction Link Love, Volume 25 | Today is that Day on August 4th, 2007 4:00 pm

[…] them. Although it is true that doing those things often does bring about inspiration, in his post When In Doubt Do Something, Edward Mills points out that we often open the door for inspiration by taking action. It is a […]

7. Edward Mills on August 4th, 2007 7:57 pm

Priscilla: You’re quite welcome. Sometimes the action you need to take is to actively seek out the inspiration. I’m glad that you found it here!

8. Build Your Life To Order ™ | If the Law of Attraction is True, Why was Jesus Crucified? on August 6th, 2007 11:46 am

[…] being acquainted with the Law of Attraction for a while, these are the kinds of questions that I started to ask. It didn’t seem to fit at […]

9. Mark on August 6th, 2007 9:27 am

Sometimes you have to fake it to make it. The inspiration will come.
        I find that with increased awareness, comes increased inspiration.
        The key is you simply may need to change some of the habits you have. Do something different, expose yourself to something different.

10. Edward Mills on August 6th, 2007 9:33 am

You’re right on, Mark. In my experience, the inspiration will not always be there, but if you go out and “act as if” it is there, you often find it!

11. Mel Kaye on August 7th, 2007 8:05 am

You are so right….get involved, do something.

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “Let’s Change the World”. Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from.

12. Tim on October 24th, 2008 3:17 pm

You will never experience something different unless you do something different. Just Do It!