The 10 best (insulting) comments I’ve received on StumbleUpon

StumbleUponI’m loving StumbleUpon. It’s sending lots of new readers to Evolving Times (and I mean LOTS). It’s turned me on to a ton of great bloggers and websites that I probably never would have discovered otherwise. It’s also led to some burgeoning new friendships.

And there’s one other benefit from StumbleUpon that I had not anticipated: The opportunity to practice breathing and non-judgment while reading some of the, how shall I say, er, interesting comments that people have left in response to some of my posts.

And, the interesting thing is that I really do mean interesting. Some (and I must emphasize SOME) of the comments, while insulting, judgmental and dismissive, contain truly valuable observations and insights. I would love to have these people join the conversation here at Evolving Times. The comments here are always open to people with constructive, positive thoughts, even if they don’t agree with what I say or think.

But , as you’ll see, most of these comments end with a door slammed in your face. There is no room for connection and communication. There is no room for engagement and mutual exploration. Which is too bad.

But I digress. This is a Friday Fun post. So let’s go ahead and have some fun and take a look at the 10 best (insulting) comments I’ve received on Stumbleupon.

Please note that these comments are taken verbatim from the site. Spelling and grammar left as is. Since this is a family friendly site, I have starred out a couple of words. And I have added my notes to some of them in brackets below the comment.

1. I don’t even like death metal, but this page makes me wish I did. Basically, here’s what this page says: “Listen to your music.” Umm…got it. It’s a perversion of High Fidelity to suggest throwing out unhappy pop songs, or to insinuate that Cusack had anything to do with composing the line that opens the film–It was taken verbatim from Nick Hornby’s book.
[Some people apparently take music and movies very seriously. This comment is in response to my post, Ask John Cusack What Came First The Music Or The Misery? But this is one of those comments that has some potential value. If he had actually read the post he would have found this question at the bottom asking for input. And here’s a question for you: Do you think that songs of “heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery, and loss” have a net uplifting or down turning impact on our culture? Does the potential cathartic effect of these songs outweigh the messages being reinforced in the collective unconsciousness? It’s an intriguing question and I would love to hear your thoughts.]

2. There is NO SUCH THING as the ‘law’ of attraction! Unless the law refers to the attraction of gullible, vulnerable people’s money to the pockets of these good for nothing gurus’!
[I wonder if this is how people responded to Newton when he was telling about this new “Law” he discovered called gravity?]

3. new age nonsense
[I like this response to my Catch It, Zap It, Turn It Around post. Short and to the point.]

4. F*ck that, negative aka “realistic” people are way more interesting than “positive” people, besides, everyone has a touch of the negative to them… of course, there are certain people who are like borderline personalities or something that just kind of wallow in negativity, but f*ck those people. Why would you even hang out with them?
[This response to the post 10 Tips For Staying Positive Around Negative People is a bit confusing to me. I get that this person considers negative – “realistic” people more interesting and that’s why freedom of choice is such a great thing. I also agree that we all have a touch of negativity in us. But then I get a bit lost. F*ck which people? Why would you even hang out with who? I’m confused.]

5. Foolish optimists. You can run, but you can’t hide. We will hunt you down, and crush your spirit with our low/negative vibrations.
[This one cracks me up, and it also saddens me because, even though it is written – I hope – from a sarcastic perspective, this attitude is real. I have known people who really think this way. It’s sort of a “why do you have the right to feel positive,” or “if I can’t feel positive I will bring you down” attitude.]

But by far the best and most creative insulting comments came in response to my post, 16 Personal Development Lessons From Harry Potter. Here they are.

6. For anyone who doubts that western culture is in decline: “16 Personal Development Lessons From Harry Potter” I’ve tried to be tolerant, but can bit my tongue no longer – HARRY POTTER IS A CHILDREN’S BOOK! Christ, His Dark Materials is a kids’ book but at least it’s got some depth. Are you mentally sub-normal? Read literature, you swine.
[It’s hard for me to imagine how this person communicates when he is not trying “to be tolerant!” Although I do agree with him about Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass). Great stuff!]

7. Harry potter…bleh. Overrated. I get the whole lessons thing but still.
[At least I’m glad he gets the whole life lesson thing!]

8. I don’t need or want life lessons from people who take “The Secret” as seriously as this site does.
[Want, yes. Need, let’s talk.]

9. Crap, neext!
[Slam!]

10. what a load. read a real book or stfu.
[I had to look up STFU. Here are the possible choices. Shut the Freak Up (polite form), Samurai Training Finished Unsuccessfully, Scrawny Two-Faced Underling, Show Them Fury Unleashed, Sir That’s Freakin’ Ugly (polite form), Southern Tenant Farmer’s Union, Star Trek Federation University. While I really like the Scrawny Two-Faced Underling, I’m thinking he must have meant Show Them Fury Unleashed. Yeah!]

So there they are. If you’ve seen some good comments on StumbleUpon or one of the other social media sites, feel free to leave it in the comments.

26 Responses to “The 10 best (insulting) comments I’ve received on StumbleUpon”

1. Aaron M. Potts on September 14th, 2007 11:02 am

Great job of showing some positive value from a potentially negative set of circumstances, Ed!

It’s funny to read some of the comments that get left on the social bookmarking sites – especially when it comes to self improvement or the Law of Attraction.

It seems like people are just sitting on the other side of the screen waiting for the chance to be as obnoxious as possible in order to prove that being negative is better than being positive, or keeping an open mind.

That math doesn’t quite add up for me – maybe I’m missing something!

Awesome job turning that type of thinking into something positive. I’m sure the original authors would be very angry that their negativity got used in such a positive manner… πŸ˜‰

2. Edward Mills on September 14th, 2007 11:45 am

Aaron, I don’t think you’re missing anything. And, if I’m really going to be honest with myself, I must admit that there have been times in my life when I have been so sure of what was “true” that I would use the same sort of door-slamming communication techniques as these folks.

It’s not really much different from any type of fundamentalist outlook. If you believe that you have THE ONLY RIGHT answer, it’s unlikely that you’re going to be willing to engage in true communication.

3. Rick Cockrum on September 14th, 2007 12:33 pm

So where do find these comments on StumbleUpon, Ed? I’ve been stumbled, but never knew how to find the results.

Harry Potter is pure formula, but how much more fun can you get?

4. Aaron M. Potts on September 14th, 2007 12:34 pm

I guess it’s the ONLY RIGHT ANSWER part that escapes me. Since “right” and “wrong” are merely judgments made from any one of over 6 BILLION points of view (present approximate Earth population), then I just don’t see how anyone can think that they are SO right that something isn’t at least open for speculation or discussion.

Anyone who knows me well also knows that I tend to think that I am “right” most of the time, but at the same time I 100% respect someone else’s right to prove me wrong.

Ah well, where would be without contrast, right? In fact, without it, what would be the point?

All hail the door-slammers! πŸ˜‰

5. Lyman Reed on September 14th, 2007 9:13 pm

Ed, that’s fantastic! πŸ™‚

I especially enjoyed #8 [Want, yes. Need, letÒ€ℒs talk.] πŸ™‚

And I loved that you take the time to get lessons from them, instead of letting them get your goat. I have much to learn from you, my friend.

Thanks for sharing those.

6. Edward Mills on September 14th, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Rick. You can find the Harry Potter stumbles here. And I we might have to disagree about Harry Potter being formulaic. I didn’t think it was. Sure, she borrowed elements from a lot of sources. But I felt the way she pulled them together was quite unique. And, whether or not it was formulaic, it certainly was a lot of fun!

7. Edward Mills on September 14th, 2007 9:37 pm

Aaron, I too, have been accused of being right most of the time. And there was a time when I was considerably less open to the possibility of being corrected than I am now! πŸ˜‰ So, I suppose it’s only fair for me to give these folks a bit of slack. There is a power in the youthful exuberance that comes from “knowing you are right!” Of course, when you still hold onto the belief that there is only one right answer and it happens to be yours, long after you left “youth” behind, then I have a harder time cutting some slack!

Lyman, you may have noticed that all of those comments happened at least a couple of weeks ago. I was not quite so neutral when I first saw them!

8. Dan and Jennifer on September 15th, 2007 9:24 am

“STFU – Samurai Training Finished Unsuccessfully” – my absolute favorite!

One of the things we like about Netscape and StumbleUpon as well is the generally intelligent (read: grown up) comments, as in contributing to the conversation.

I have the say the worst comments we’ve seen to date have been on ShoutWire – much worse than you generally see on Digg or other sites.

Thankfully Stumble and Netscape continue to USUALLY have useful and insightful comments. πŸ™‚

Dan

9. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on September 15th, 2007 9:37 am

Edward, to be able to look for the positive from these negative comments is a very valuable lesson for all of us. I do with with the “so-called” mistakes that I and others make. I love a saying that I found in Wayne Dyer’s book, Your Sacred Self, that says, “Nothing in my world ever goes wrong.” Learn from the negative as well as the positive since they are both just opposites of the same coin. Negative and positive are both judgments that we add on to what just is. This is a lesson that I am still learning.

10. Edward Mills on September 15th, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Dan. That’s my favorite also. Unfortunately it doesn’t fit in the context of the comment, so I don’t think that’s the one he meant! πŸ˜‰

11. Edward Mills on September 15th, 2007 9:56 am

Patricia. I have a feeling this is a lesson that we all we be continuing to learn for a long time! I have not found, not even come close, the end of the tunnel when it comes to non-judgment. And it is a wonderful gift when we receive these opportunities to take another step forward.

12. Annie Walker on September 15th, 2007 11:16 am

“Foolish optimists. You can run, but you canÒ€ℒt hide. We will hunt you down, and crush your spirit with our low/negative vibrations.”

And we will rise up, more powerful than you could possibly imagine, Darth Vader! Oh, sorry… That just kind of slipped out πŸ™‚ This one cracked me up, too… Not least from the complete inability to understand the nature of positivity – the whole point is that we can take positive vibes away from any encounter and benefit from it πŸ™‚

Well done for being so positive and turning such … emotive… comments into such a positive and funny posting – it made my day (which really, REALLY tried hard to be difficult, but was snatched back from the jaws of negativity at the last minute!)

13. Lyman Reed on September 15th, 2007 5:04 pm

@Annie: That was awesome! πŸ™‚ Now every time I attract a negative person who seems intent on sucking the joy out of everyone’s life, Obi-Wan’s gonna pop into my head. πŸ™‚

14. Eddie Corbano - LovesAGame on September 16th, 2007 3:26 am

I have to admit that some of these negative and dismissive comments got me pretty depressed the other day.

What annoyed me the most was that the commentators obviously didn’t read the entire article, they just scan through and get exited over a small section of it.

I was also shocked about the apparent hatred behind the comments, as if I had done something to them personally. There was, of course, also a complete lack of constructive thought.

The article in question was an all through positive article about how important it is to have memorable moments in your relationship, so the reactions were pretty shocking to me (on the other hand, this was by far the article with the most visitors from stumbleupon ever, so maybe negative comments aren’t that bad after all πŸ˜‰ ).

Thanks Edward and the other commentators, for reminding me that this kind of negativity are just judgments and nothing more.

15. Sunday Reading 16 September 2007 on September 16th, 2007 7:20 am

[…] something new that has stared at you for months. This week Edward Mills in the comments to  The 10 best (insulting) comments IÒ€ℒve received on StumbleUpon taught me how to find out the reviews on any page that have ever been Stumbled. If you’ve got […]

16. Edward Mills on September 17th, 2007 10:41 am

Hi Eddie. I would imagine that in your work as a relationship coach you come across this type of communication where someone thinks they “understand” where someone else is coming from before gathering all the data. Of course, recognizing it doesn’t always make it easier to be on the receiving end of these types of comments.

I’d be interested to know which of your articles received those comments.

17. Eddie Corbano - LovesAGame on September 18th, 2007 4:11 am

Hi Edward, I get your point.

In fact, the last three days I have been analyzing the origin of my negative thoughts about these comments and I dismiss them now as “writing in a foreign language”-insecurities. πŸ™‚

Anyway, here is the article in question: 5 Experiences To Make With Your Partner Before You Die

18. Theresa on September 18th, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Edward!

These truly crack me up… whether you’d consider them insightful or not it just goes to show that just about everyone wants their 15 (seconds) of fame. Most of the time when you backtrack a comment, there is nothing substantial to even indicate they are human LOL!

On the positive side, any time someone takes a moment to type, I figure you’re doing your job – where would we be without the comments and feedback in life?

I’ve personally had enough life-sucking vampires come and go (and stay!) in my life to last several lifetimes, and it is I guess sad that they never really get a clue.

To some, I bet it you said “you reap what you sow” they’d jump right onboard with that… but phrase it as the “Law of Attraction” and suddenly it’s garbage.

Get a clue and a (decent) life people πŸ™‚

Thanks Ed!

19. Edward Mills on September 18th, 2007 8:35 am

Eddie. I see what you mean about the comments on that article. Great article, by the way. If it were me, I’d delete the comment about it being vapid. I’m fine if people disagree with me, but for a comment make it through moderation, it has to add something to the conversation. I love good conversation and even a bit of healthy debate. But that comment is personal opinion stated in a negative manner and adds nothing to the conversation. I would trash it.

Unfortunately, you can’t trash the comments on Stumbleupon.

20. Edward Mills on September 18th, 2007 8:37 am

Wow Theresa. You don’t pull any punches do you? πŸ˜‰ I hadn’t thought of it in terms of the 15-seconds of fame. But now that you’ve pointed it out it makes sense. Even if it is “anonymous” fame.

21. Eddie Corbano - LovesAGame on September 19th, 2007 1:05 am

Edward, thank you for your kind words and your advice. I took it and deleted the comment. Now I have to hack stumbleupon and delete the comments there πŸ˜‰ .

But this is again a great example of the good coming out of negative events: if it weren’t for these negative comments, I wouldn’t have found this great blog and met a positive and kind person like you are πŸ™‚ .

22. Dan and Jennifer on September 19th, 2007 4:26 am

Hey Eddie, glad you found Ed’s site – we discovered it almost a year ago and have been friends with Ed basically ever since. He’s a great person to know and his site is a regular read for us.

23. Dan and Jennifer on September 19th, 2007 4:42 am

OK Guys – deep breath all around on this topic.

This has been a topic Jennifer and I have sometimes talk on as we’ve seen response from our readers and viewers in increasing numbers… warning: minor rant coming on.

As “bloggers”, i.e. content producers with ever-growing audiences, we all choose to put ourselves out there, and with that will come lots of feedback from readers of your work. Some will be very positive, some will be negative (but constructive and intelligent), and occasionally some of it will be amazingly down-right head-scratching what’s-this-person-smoking-and-is-it-legal type of stupid and pointless. Really, it doesn’t matter one bit.

Want to see some truly incredible comments? post something on ShoutWire and let it get popular. Those were some of the worst and most nonsensical comments we’ve seen to date… and it was across several stories. Not just “not useful”, but mean spirited and downright hateful.

In comparison, we’ve found Netscape to be a great place to actually have a good discussion in the comments with other readers – useful thoughts from grown-ups. Stumble has been by-far-and-wide a similar experience.

VIDEO Perspective…
        As of yesterday we have 75 videos on YouTube, getting over 300,000 views a month and growing. Just imagine the type of comments that drunk college kids sometimes leave overnight. Yes, it’s important to NOT ever let that stuff get to you. And what’s a true blessing is that overall most of the comments we get on YouTube are actually to some degree useful and intelligent. And yes, that’s a major achievement for the YouTube audience – the demographic is getting a little older, but it’s still skewed to the early college crowd (read: Digg).

As we all grow our readership in the quest to the 1 million reader a day mark and beyond, we’ll see much more reaction from people out there – most of it positive and receptive, some ignorant, and some downright foul. All those people have their own lives and problems, and I truly feel sad for someone who takes time out of their day to leave a nasty comment or send a nasty email. Fro me that seems like such a sad existence be day to day – it’s just one I can’t fathom. But we all have our path and our journey in this world, and that’s OK.

If you wish to grown, then never let it get to you. Yeah, that’s easier said than done sometimes, but it CAN be done.

Welcome the feedback and move forth. There will be people who don’t embrace your message and they’ll sometimes express that in less-than-constructive manner depending on their social expertise and maturity.

A wise friend once said “What someone else thinks of you is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS”. We live by that rule – and thus we embrace the challenges of the 1 million reader a day goal with anticipation and joy – no fear.

And as we all know from the Law of Attraction – focus your energy on the good, on what you WANT to see more of – and so it will be.

Blessings to all – even those who disagree, however they choose to express themselves.

Have an awesome day!
        Dan

24. Dan and Jennifer on September 28th, 2007 6:43 pm

OK folks, step right up… we have a winner!

With 300,000+ youtube views a month and growing daily, we get our share of creative comments, mostly useful though.

But here’s our winner – the most foul comment on a video yet!

Ed will likely star a few things out, but here it is in it’s glorious entirety. You can’t even get mad at stuff this outrageous.

Fanatical religious fundamentalism at it’s best:

Editor’s Note: Language has been changed to protect the innocent. Not that any of us are all that innocent!

—————————————————-
        “F**K YOU MOTHERS F**KERS GO TO HELL , YOU VERY STUPID AND silly DO YOU THING GOD creation PEOPLE TO DO PORN !!!!!!!!!!
        YOU SO STUPID I HATE BITCHES SO MUCH THERES NO DIGNITY NO DIGNITY NO DIGNITY NO SHAME YOU ARE NOTHING”
        —————————————————–

And here’s the video for those curious what that poor man was rambling about. Hopefully he didn’t injure himself or have a stroke or something.

Have an awesome day!
        D&J

25. How to be a Positive Force In The Blogosphere And Beyond - Evolving Times - The Law of Attraction Resource for Personal Growth on October 4th, 2007 6:09 am

[…] few vocal examples of not-so-positive members of this community. If youÒ€ℒve read my article on the 10-Best-Insulting-commments or perused the comments over at Digg on my comfort zone article youÒ€ℒve seen some examples. And […]

26. OOM on October 5th, 2007 2:10 pm

Yeah, a good post to read and re-read. Means I’m a lucky guy since I read no such stupid comments. PS: Dan and Jennifer – how “lovely” πŸ™‚