A Life Lesson From Candy Land

candylandHere’s a Fun Friday post in honor of next week’s sweet and spooky holiday.My daughter received the board game Candyland for her fourth birthday a couple of weeks ago. And since then, just about every night before bed she wants to play it.

But after a few nights of playing by the rules, she’s discovered that she doesn’t like playing that way. (I can’t imagine where she gets that trait from!)

Instead of picking a card and going where it tells her, she prefers to decide where she wants to go and then find the card that will take her there! For example, if she feels like going to the space with the lollipop, she’ll search through the deck until she finds the lollipop card.

Personally, I like Ella’s method much better.

And, in addition to being a fun way to play the game, it strikes me as a very effective approach to life.

Let’s face it, you can accept the “card you are dealt” and go where it takes you, or you can choose where you want to go and find the card that will get you there!

Your choice!

10 Responses to “A Life Lesson From Candy Land”

1. Essential Week in Review on October 27th, 2007 4:09 am

[…] of forging your own path, Ed at Evolving Times played CandyLand with his daughter this week and realized that her method of playing is better than […]

2. Raymond on October 27th, 2007 4:40 am

Hi Edward,

I do love the example/illustration.

Sometimes the answer to our lives can just be found in a simple way, for instance, in this case, the board game.

I like your daughter’s discovery. 🙂

3. Shelly -- Integrative Fitness on October 27th, 2007 8:57 am

I love this lesson from Ella. Aren’t these little being so wise?!!

4. Andrea Hess | Empowered Soul Blog on October 27th, 2007 10:40 am

Great point! And isn’t it amazing how much we can learn from our kids?

I have to say I sometimes struggle with the line between allowing my child to make up her own rules, and at the same time acknowledging that there are certain “rules” that come with being in our society … without squishing that independent spirit of hers.

Blessings,
        Andrea

5. Patricia Müller on November 13th, 2007 12:03 pm

I second that, Andreas, there’s a lot we can learn from kids. 🙂

That’s a very good and simple analogy, Ed. Very inspiring.

Cheers,

Patricia.

6. Webomatica on November 13th, 2007 10:38 am

Interesting! The rules for Candy Land are totally luck based. I think your daughter’s behavior shows that she wants to take charge of her destiny rather than accepting what comes.

7. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2007 4:41 pm

Raymond. I’ve found that I can learn pretty much all I need to know about life from hanging out with Ella! 😉

Shelly. They sure are wise, these little ones!

Andrea. I must admit I’m not a big lover of rules. There will be plenty of time for Ella to learn to follow rules. I already see her being taught the “right way” to do things at pre-school. So I’m not worried about giving her a bit of freedom to explore what happens when she makes up her own!

8. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2007 4:43 pm

Webomatica. Exactly. We can approach life the same way: Accept that our lives are determined by luck or fate or destiny or other people’s choices, or we can determine where we want to be and figure out the fastest, easiest way to get there!

Patricia. Thanks! My motto is Simple is good!

9. 10 personal growth lessons from children | Evolving Times on January 17th, 2008 9:25 am

[…] Sometimes it’s Better to Make Up Your Own Rules I already wrote about this one in the post Life Lessons from Candyland. But it’s an important one so I included it in this […]

10. What Have You Learned From Your Children? | Mr. Hancock's Class Blog on October 3rd, 2008 3:10 pm