Are You A Cultural Creative?

When I first read Paul Ray and Sherry Anderson’s book, The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World back in 2002, I was amazed to discover that there were, according to their research, more than 50 million Americans who shared many of my values, ideals and beliefs.

This was especially enlightening since I felt like I was pretty far out of the mainstream with my values, beliefs and ideals. So discovering that I was not alone was a great relief.

According to Paul and Sherry, almost one quarter of the American population shares a fairly well-defined, yet “non-mainstream” set of values and beliefs. But, until recently, most of us have no idea that there were another 50-million people with these similar world views.

In the years since reading that book, and especially since I began blogging, I have been watching with growing excitement as more Cultural Creatives connect and discover that we are not alone.

It is clear that the blogosphere and other Web Technologies are facilitating connections and opening the eyes and hearts of the 50+ Million Cultural Creatives. From the TED blog and conferences to Zaadz the web is bringing together Cultural Creatives from around the world in world changing ways.So are you a Cultural Creative? Here are 18 questions from The Cultural Creatives book and the Cultural Creatives website that will give you a good idea.

Answer these 18 questions with a Yes or No.

1. I love Nature and am deeply concerned about its destruction

2. I am strongly aware of the problems of the whole planet (global warming, destruction of rainforests, overpopulation, lack of ecological sustainability, exploitation of people in poorer countries) and want to see more action on them, such as limiting economic growth

3. I would pay more taxes or pay more for consumer goods if I knew that money would go to clean up the environment and to stop global warming

4. I place a great deal of importance on developing and maintaining my relationships

5. I place a lot of value on helping other people and bringing out their unique gifts

6. I volunteer for one or more good causes

7. I care intensely about both psychological and spiritual development

8. I see spirituality or religion as important in my life, but I am concerned about the role of the Religious Right in politics

9. I want more equality for women at work, and more women leaders in business and politics

10. I am concerned about violence and abuse of women and children around the world

11. I want our politics and government spending to put more emphasis on children’s education and well-being, on rebuilding our neighborhoods and communities, and on creating an ecologically sustainable future

12. I am unhappy with both the Left and the Right in politics, and want a to find a new way that is not in the mushy middle

13. I tend to be somewhat optimistic about our future, and distrust the cynical and pessimistic view that is given by the media

14. I want to be involved in creating a new and better way of life in our country

15. I am concerned about what the big corporations are doing in the name of making more profits: downsizing, creating environmental problems, and exploiting poorer countries

16. I have my finances and spending under control, and am not concerned about overspending

17. I dislike all the emphasis in modern culture on success and “making it,” on getting and spending, on wealth and luxury goods

18. I like people and places that are exotic and foreign, and like experiencing and learning about other ways of life.

If you answered Yes to 10 or more, you probably are a Cultural Creative. Welcome!

I’d love to hear your results and any thoughts you might have. Use the comment form below to join the discussion.

8 Responses to “Are You A Cultural Creative?”

1. Lola Fayemi on October 11th, 2007 2:04 am

13 for me and I like the term culturally creative.

I’m tagging you for the “Good side of the limited mind” meme.

In love, light and abundance x x x

2. Susan Stoderl on October 12th, 2007 12:14 pm

I answered 16 out of 17 and the one I could not say yes to, I wished I could. I too have thought there were not many like me. I love the name Cultural Creative and in fact, and am just that. I have just written a libretto and composed an opera that touches on many of these points.

Through my creative abilities I am trying to raise the vibrational frequency of the average person, to get them to question, and to view life with more compassion and understanding.

For more information this artistic work, please see my website.

3. PMeyer on October 13th, 2007 4:39 pm

I don’t mean to be too harsh but…This survey is mislabeled.

It should be called the Cultural Progressive survey as it bashes capitalism, economic growth, the Christian Right, corporations and “success in modern culture” while glorifying increased taxes and spending, population control, limiting economic growth and that old stand by, “let’s spend more on the children”. Ha!

Don’t be duped by these people who are interjecting their left wing socialist control dogma into feel-good lists.
        The perfect example being question #2:

2. I am strongly aware of the problems of the whole planet (global warming, destruction of rain forests, overpopulation, lack of ecological sustainability, exploitation of people in poorer countries) and want to see more action on them, such as limiting economic growth.

I would venture to say that limiting economic growth will indeed help “overpopulation” as more people will die in these impoverished areas where economic growth is limited. Limited economic growth means poverty and poverty mean poor health care and more deaths from illness. DUH! They seem to be advocating Killing the Poor People through slow starvation, ie, economic limitations.

But that is OK with them because then the ecology will become more sustainable without us pesky people around. Let’s ask them…how many of us is a good number to have around? Or, is it only you lucky “Cultural Creatives” who will be allowed to live and… too bad for the rest of us dupes.

There is nothing “creative” about it. The same old drivel that the left has been spewing for years. To be fair it should be properly called MoveOn.org Cultural Progressives. The only creativity is in the duplicity and triangulation of the message.

Here is what really tickles me. There are so many answers that begin “I dislike…” or “I am concerned…(2 questions)” or “…I am deeply concerned…” or “I am unhappy…” Progressives LOVE to complain. It is all falling apart…as long as they are not in power. Then it is someone else’s fault.

All of these complaints put the lie to question #13:, “I tend to be somewhat optimistic….” Really, couldn’t tell. Seems just as cynical as the media.

What drivel. This survey feels like it was created in junior high by the kids who thought they were popular to get into their geeky club.

I think I would like a different survey.
        How about questions like:

I am pleased with how much we have been able to clean our environment, air, water, ground, over the last 40 years and look forward to more advances that are happening all the time.

I am happy with how efficient our automobiles have become since the 60’s and how they are about to become even more efficient with higher CAFE standards. I especially love how safe our cars are now.

I am thrilled that our country continues to be the most generous nation for giving…to charities at home and especially to charities abroad that feed and clothe and heal people.

I am ecstatic that I live in the United States where I am protected by thoughtful and caring police, emergency and military personal that keep me safe and follow the rule of law.

I love the capitalist system that allows rewards for innovation and efficiency and has very low barriers for entry.

I am grateful to be living in the greatest country in the world surrounded by the friendliest, most educated and resourceful people on earth.

I love the choice that new technology has given me…the internet for my news, blogs to share my opinion, more choices and competition in my purchases. Technology that has been developed right here in the USA.

I am so glad Algore will never be president yet I am thrilled for him that he has been able to make SO MUCH MONEY (over $100 million since leaving office) in our system by screaming the sky is falling. PT Barnum called it, Nobody ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the public. Ain’t life grand.

I am all for women and LGBTs and everybody under the sun having as much freedom and equality as they could possibly want…especially in Islamic cultures.

I am concerned by the progressive leaders in our country that are all for “choice” when it comes to killing the unborn through abortion but no choice when it comes to being able to choose a good school for your unaborted child’s education. (As most European countries do, by the way….the money follows the child not visa versa like here.)

I am grateful that the current administration has been able to uncover and stop countless terrorist plots by Islamic fascists design to kill us right here in our own country.

If you agreed with most of these answers above….then you may be officially a sane American. Which I would rather be than this kind of animal.

4. Titania on October 14th, 2007 3:40 pm

I read this wonderful book. I thought I was a bit of an oddball. But was relieved to see there are others of the same mindset. I scored a 17.
        I belong to an online community, care2.com, that has a lot of us. It is awesome.

Great post. Great blog!

5. Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker on October 17th, 2007 7:36 am

The only one that I said no to, I am working on changing to yes. Wow!!! Had no idea I had so much in common with that many other people. Great!!! It is nice to know that we are growing in numbers. We are not so few as I thought. Thanks for sharing this. I got home from India on Monday evening, Oct. 15. Found this wonderful book and set of CD’s waiting for me. Thanks so much for the Body of Health, The Science of Intuition Medicine information. It is exactly what I am supposed to be learning, to go along with what I learned in India. I had no idea what I had won as your top commenter. Thanks so very much. I will also send a Thank You to Francesca McCartney.

6. Edward Mills on October 19th, 2007 10:17 am

Lola. I guess 13 is a lucky number for you. I’m a bit behind – all right I’m WAY behind – on my memes. So no guarantees, even though I love your topic!

Susan. It’s pretty amazing when you realize you’re not alone in your beliefs. Especially when it may have seemed that those beliefs were so “out there.” Keep raising those vibrations!

Titania
        . I thought I was an oddball. And actually I still do. It’s just that now I’m realizing that there are a lot more oddballs like me! 😉 Glad that you’re one of them!

7. Edward Mills on October 19th, 2007 10:19 am

Patricia. Welcome back! I hope your trip was amazing. You’re very welcome for the Body of Health package. Congratulations again for being one of the winners in the Law of Attraction Carnival celebration!

8. Edward Mills on October 19th, 2007 10:25 am

Philip. While I get what you’re saying, I have a hard time hearing it. There seems to be so much resentment and even anger in your reply.

It really feels as if the tone of your message is in exact opposition of the Cultural Creatives. Granted, my explanation and definition of the CC is definitely limited. But if you read the book, or do a bit more research, you’ll see that tolerance and non-judgment is an important piece of the Cultural Creative character. And interestingly, a significant number of people who fit into the CC profile also identify themselves as Republicans and even conservatives.

For me, the demographic concept of Cultural Creatives does not appear to be a tool of the progressives, but rather an observation of what is really happening in our culture.