Have You Ever Had One Of THOSE Weeks?

I haven’t posted much this week. It’s not from a lack of trying. It’s from an inability (or an unwillingness) to complete anything I consider worth posting. I’ve started about 8 different posts, opened up another 5 or 6 from my drafts folder and closed them all when I found myself spinning around in circles and worrying that I was just making them worse!

Most of us have days, or weeks, like this; times when we’re spiraling around our old limiting beliefs and patterns and resisting the opportunity for personal evolution that is bubbling up.

Yes, even somewhat successful personal growth bloggers have these moments.

They’re not fun. They’re certainly not comfortable. But in the end, experience has taught me that when I come out the other side, I’m at a higher level of awareness and functioning.

So forgive me while I swirl around in my inner muckety muck for a few days. I appreciate your patience. And I have a feeling that I’ll have a few insights to share with you when I come up for air.

14 Responses to “Have You Ever Had One Of THOSE Weeks?”

1. Aaron Simmons on October 18th, 2007 10:49 am

Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations — it takes a great deal of courage to write a post like this, but it also shows a great deal of integrity. I look forward to your next post!

2. Mike on October 18th, 2007 11:25 am

Hi Ed,

There seems to be a fair amount of that going around. Looking forward to what you have to share at the other end! Here’s wishing it doesn’t take long!

Mike

3. Adrian L on October 18th, 2007 7:04 pm

Writers block. Like the white whale it tasks us; it heaps us. Yet it is but a mask. ‘Tis the thing behind the mask we chiefly hate; the malignant thing that has plagued mankind since time began; the thing that maws and mutilates our race, not killing us outright but letting us live on, with half a heart and half a lung.

Something to think about, anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Ellie on October 18th, 2007 9:03 pm

Swirl around in inner muckety muck…. Oh Yes — I’ve been there – done that! ๐Ÿ˜‰

There is a strange excitement in that muck when you know the spectacular view you will see when you get the muck out of your eyes!!

Thanks for reminding us we all roll or swirl around in the muck every now!

5. Greg Butler on October 19th, 2007 1:24 pm

And I thought it was just me. Maybe it has something to do with Mercury being retrograde, whatever that means. Keep positive. Maybe you could write in detail about everything you are going through. It might be helpful to somebody else who is going through similar tough times.

6. Barb on October 19th, 2007 8:48 am

Ed,
        Same thing is happening to me – though it’s taking longer than a week. I haven’t posted anything since the Carnival! I have tons of drafts to finish, but I just don’t feel drawn to do any writing. I started to feel guilty, especially after doing the Carnival (I should be posting more if I want to keep those readers, right?), but I was able to let it go pretty much right away.

In the same vein, I don’t feel like reading much along the personal development/spiritual lines either!

Some would say if you’re not expanding, then you’re renewing. I believe this is the renewing phase. ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Edward Mills on October 19th, 2007 10:10 am

Aaron. Thanks for the encouragement. Can’t say that I was looking at it from that perspective. So it helps to get that feedback.

Mike and Barb. There is some comfort in knowing that I’m not alone in this space right now. And I sure hope that all of us finding ourselves here find ourselves coming up for air soon!

Adrian
        . That’s why I love your writing! Even though I’m not exactly sure what the words mean, it’s clear, from the reaction I had when I read your comment, that the meaning is right on! It is time to find the missing half of my heart and my other lung! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And Ellie. You are so right about the strange excitement that is here. I do, indeed, know the spectacular view that comes on the other side. It is the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for reminding me what I have to look forward to. Makes the muckety muck a bit less… well, mucky! ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Shama Hyder on October 19th, 2007 10:24 am

Ed-It definitely has been one of those weeks! Glad I wasn’t alone, but still sorry for your week!

9. Edward Mills on October 19th, 2007 2:51 pm

Well, either there really is something happening in the stars – or somewhere – or my post has just attracted everyone else who is having one of those weeks! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now, let’s all take a big deep breath together and visualize next week being peaceful, productive and filled with fun and excitement!

10. Andrea Hess | Empowered Soul Blog on October 19th, 2007 3:06 pm

I just posted something similar to my blog this week! And the comments I got was also that everyone else was experiencing a big interruption in work flow. I sure am ready to get out of this energy and back into the normal swing of things next week …

11. Jennifer on October 19th, 2007 11:45 pm

Surely we have company! Amazing. Maybe the universe is telling us to take a break. I spent all day trying to figure out this HTML news letter thing- I mean all day. I finally published something, but it’s not the original idea. Any tricks or tips to kick yourself in gear on the down times? OR should we just go with the flow?

12. Edward Mills on October 20th, 2007 11:53 am

Andrea. Very interesting. I like that you’ve reframed it as a break or the calm in the center of the storm. I like that. That perspective relieves some of the friction that I was feeling. Thanks!

Jennifer. Go check out Andrea’s post. I think there really is much to be said for accepting that when these periods hit it is important to have some acceptance. And, at the same time, we can’t let everything go. So it’s important to balance the desire to “kick yourself into gear” with the need to honor the cycles. See if you can allow yourself to engage in some active downtime before rushing back into work mode.

I’m working on a post that addresses this issue more fully. Keep your eyes open for it soon.

13. 6 Support Systems To Put In Place Before You Need Them - Evolving Times - The Law of Attraction Resource for Personal Growth on October 26th, 2007 3:09 pm

[…] still cashing in the chips from last weekรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs romp through the muck. Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm shoring up my foundation with the four steps I came up with on my Back to Basics day. And […]

14. Back To Basics Day: 4 Simple Steps To Stabilize The Foundation - Evolving Times - The Law of Attraction Resource for Personal Growth on October 26th, 2007 3:12 pm

[…] as you may recall, last week was one of THOSE weeks for me. And whether or not Mercury being retrograde had anything to do with it and regardless of […]