This Is A Great Time To Become An Early Riser

early-riser-clockIf you’re here in the US (with the exception of a few areas) you turned your clocks back one-hour on Sunday morning. For those of you who have been interested in becoming an early (or earlier) riser, this artificial “time-shift” has created a perfect opportunity.

With very little effort, you can immediately begin rising one-hour earlier.

Instead of trying to force yourself into the “new” time, stay on your old schedule. So, if you were going to bed at 11:00 and waking up at 6:30 (old time) now you’ll go to bed at 10:00 and wake up at 5:30. Many of you are probably doing that anyway so it should not be a big stretch.

I recommend that you stay on this schedule for 30-days. See how you feel after that. If it’s working for you, stick with it. If not, go back to your old schedule. Just because I like getting up at 5:00 am doesn’t mean it’s right for you.

Since I began rising at 5:00am I’ve had many people ask me how I do it. I give a lot of credit to Steve Pavlina for laying out some very clear guidelines.

But mostly it’s because those quiet, morning hours have become my sacred time. It’s time that I devote to me, whether by meditating, running, hiking, writing, or just sipping a cup of tea and watching the sun rise and the hummingbirds come to the feeder for their morning meal.

So if you’ve been interested in finding out what it’s like to be up at 5:00 am, now would be a great time to find out!

17 Responses to “This Is A Great Time To Become An Early Riser”

1. Shama Hyder on November 5th, 2007 10:52 am

Sheesh Ed! Leave it to you to point out the effective and productive. Here I was day dreaming about an extra hour of sleep. = )

2. Raymond on November 5th, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Ed,

That’s a good tip. I’ll try it tonight. 🙂

This gotta be cool. Usually, I use hypnosis before I sleep to make me wake up early in the morning.

3. Craig Harper on November 6th, 2007 2:32 am

Hey Ed,
        Great tip.
        Here in Australia we have ‘Daylight Savings’ were we turn our clocks forward one hour for the summer so that we have more daylight for a longer period in the evenings. Your tip would work equally well here if you set your alarm at the original time.
        Keep up the great writing!

4. Jennifer Mannion on November 6th, 2007 4:45 am

Hi Ed, I’m with you — morning time is SO peaceful. I have 2 kids 8 and 4. Whenever I can I rise before them and take my hour to sip instead of chug my coffee and relax myself into the day it is WELL WORTH IT. The alternative is waking up to my son practicing his guitar or singing High School Musical songs. I’m going to take your advice — the getting out of bed is the hard part now that it’s colder in the morning — the comforter is such a good friend — but it’ll be worth it in the long run! Thanks for the inspiration. Gratefully, Jenny

5. Char on November 6th, 2007 8:38 am

Being an early riser keeps me sane. I love getting up before everyone else in the house, making a good cup of tea or coffee, and easing in to my day in total quiet.

6. Shelly @ Integrative Fitness on November 6th, 2007 10:11 am

Ed,

This post is so timely for me! Just this morning (and most mornings) I felt so much irritation arise when my alarm (my baby daughter) woke me up at 5:00 am. Yesterday it was 4:50 am. Bless her little heart…but apparently Mommy is not quite adapted to this early waking thing even after 19 months of having this beautiful little being in the house.

I am going to try shifting my approach to this situation. Instead of feeling total irritation and sometimes a little anger when being awakened at this hour in the morning, I am going to embrace it! I am going to be grateful that she wakes me up so early so that I can get a workout in before my husband goes to work. I have conveniently convinced myself that I don’t have any time or the opening in my schedule to work out ever since my husband started this new job 3 weeks ago because “getting up and working out at that hour of the morning is not an option for me.” What a strong belief and quite a story I’m telling myself, eh?!

Steve Pavlina’s posts on waking up early really resonated with me based on my current and past approach to this waking up early and being more productive subject.

THANK YOU so much for INSPIRING me so much in this area and for writing this post. And, thanks for turning me onto Steve Pavlina’s insights and clear guidelines on waking up early and how to establish that pattern in my life (Or, in my case how to actually embrace my daughter’s early waking pattern and make it a positive and productive thing for me). Boy did I need an early morning attitude adjustment, or what?!

With gratitude,

Shelly

7. Alex Blackwell on November 6th, 2007 10:37 am

Ed,

Great tip and I agree. I’m at most productive at 5:00 in the morning!

8. Edward Mills on November 7th, 2007 10:46 am

Shama. It only took me 43 years to figure it out! 😉

Raymond. I would imagine that combining some self-hypnosis suggestions before bed with the time change would make for a powerful combination.

9. Edward Mills on November 7th, 2007 10:48 am

Craig. I think you “down under” folks would be going the other way this time of year. You’ll have to wait until your Fall to get the added hour jump-start.

10. Edward Mills on November 7th, 2007 10:51 am

Jennifer, Charand Shelly. Seems like, as parents, we’re on the same page. Having some quiet time (can you say Calm before the storm?) gets the day off to a much better start. Although, Jennifer, I don’t know if I can imagine anything more inspiring than waking up to an 8-year old playing guitar or singing songs from musicals! 😉

11. Jennifer Mannion on November 7th, 2007 11:04 am

Hey Ed, You haven’t heard my son play guitar or sing! ; ) Let’s say he’s in the beginning stages of learning! It does put a smile on my face though and you’re right I should be grateful for that! Thanx!

12. Edward Mills on November 8th, 2007 2:33 pm

I can imagine how it sounds. But we all started somewhere!

13. Jennifer Mannion on November 8th, 2007 3:01 pm

You’re so right Ed! He already sounds much better than I ever managed to get on the saxophone and he’s only 8! I still will opt for the getting my body out of bed early. I smile even wider if I am awake and have had time to wake up a bit before the music begins! The quiet time is so therapeutic and all it means is me making sure I get to bed at a decent time (which is a good thing for my body anyway). I love your blog, have subscribed and look forward to reading lots more from you — you’re an excellent writer! Gratefully, Jenny

14. jen_chan, writer MemberSpeed.com on November 16th, 2007 12:02 pm

Greetings!
        For many, waking up is already quite a chore. Waking up an hour earlier seems downright impossible. However, adjusting the time seems to work for some. basically, your body is still getting the same number of hours it used to for sleeping. Personally, I’ve tried doing this and what’s so wonderful about waking up an hour earlier is being able to contemplate on what waits ahead and then going back to sleep for a good 45 minutes! 🙂

15. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2007 4:10 pm

Jenny. I was kidding you just a bit. 😉 I’m not actually sure if I could handle an early morning practice session from my daughter. I suppose I’ll get to find out pretty soon!

16. Edward Mills on November 16th, 2007 4:12 pm

Hi Jen. Welcome to ET! I realize that getting up early is not for everyone. I’ve tried to convert my wife into a morning person and she’s definitely not interested! 😉

And for some, having those extra 45 minutes in bed makes all the difference.

17. Pensacola Real Estate News on November 26th, 2007 9:17 am

I used to get up at 6:00 AM, and my wife and kids slept till 8. Now the kids get up at 7:00 AM, so I’ve had to shift my schedule to 5 am wake up time. It is not always so easy. But if I don’t make it up at 5 am, I get frustrated that I don’t get my personal time in the morning for meditation and gratitude and spiritual reading and yoga etc. I wish my kids would get up at 9 am. I never seem to have enough time. But then when I see them, it is always a joy. Thanks for the great article. It’s good to have some psychic company that early in the morning.