When You Hear Those Negative Voices Remember That You Have A Choice

Back in June, Joe Vitale moved his blog from a hosted platform to a self-hosted WordPress blog. It was a good move for him. But there was a bit of a learning curve involved and for the first couple of days he didn’t realize that all of his comments were waiting to be approved.

Here’s a bit of what he wrote about those two, long days:

I put up this new blog two days ago, wrote two new posts, invited my entire email list to come review it, and waited for the applause.

Nothing.

No comments.

No emails.

No love letters, cookies, cigars, care packages, Amazon gift certificates, or anything else.

What happened to my audience?

I started to think that no one loved the new blog, or my new posts, or me.

Amazing how the mind falls back to negativity if it isn’t guarded against.

Joe’s words kept ringing in my head today.

After spending weeks working on a new theme for Evolving Times and finally making the big change last night, I found it quite astonishing that there were absolutely no comments on the new theme today.

I went to bed last night, thrilled with how smoothly the update had gone. No glitches. No major snafus. And I was sure that I would wake up to a few comments from my east coast readers. But when I logged in this morning there were none. When I left the office at 1:00 to pick up my daughter, there were still no comments in sight.

By then, the negative thoughts were getting pretty loud in my head. I can definitely relate to Joe’s thought that “no one loved the new blog… or me.”

But I wasn’t ready to give in to those thoughts. I was not ready to let the negative voices “win.” So I spent a wonderfully fun afternoon with my daughter, walking around town, stopping in a few stores and enjoying some unexpected live music on the plaza.

I checked once more after dinner. Still no no comments. The voices were getting louder, but Joe’s experience still echoed in my head as I started coming up with possible reasons why there were no comments: “Maybe everyone is out shopping.” And, “Lots of people have switched out their theme lately. It’s easy for one more theme update to slip under the radar screen.”

But after Ella went to bed and still none, I started to wonder if there might be something wrong.Last night when I installed the new theme I submitted a test comment without a problem. But, maybe one of the upgraded plugins I installed messed something up. So I submitted another test comment. No problem.

So where were all the comments? Good, bad, indifferent: It didn’t matter. And it didn’t make sense. After all, it’s been a LONG time since a full day has gone by without a single comment here!

Then I had one of those “aha” moments. I logged out of my administrator’s account and tried to submit another comment.

Bingo.

There it was. The dreaded error message: “You have not filled in you math comment spam form. Please go back and fill it in.”

Of course, there was just one problem. There was no Math Comment Spam form!

The plugin was still installed and activated, but I had not added the form code to the comment page in my new theme. So anyone who tried to submit a comment – other than a logged in administrator – received an error message telling them to go back and fill out the field for the Math Comment form. And, without a form to do that, it just wasn’t going to happen.

It took five minutes to put the form is in place. I’ve successfully submitted a test comment after logging out of my administrator account. So everything is a go for comments!

Now I’ll just sit here at my computer refreshing the screen every 5-minutes until the first one comes in!

Not.

And in case you’re wondering, Joe had a similar “aha” when he realized that he had over 70 comments waiting to be moderated!

He ended his post with these wise words:

Goes to show you (or me): You can’t assume anything, you can’t allow negativity to slow you down and, with a little education, anything is possible.

It’s bedtime here. And I’ll sleep just a little bit better knowing that today, when I had a choice, I didn’t give in to the negative voices… and knowing that you all can leave comments now!

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

14 Responses to “When You Hear Those Negative Voices Remember That You Have A Choice”

1. Barb on December 15th, 2007 8:44 am

Glad to see you got your comments working! I came to leave a comment and didn’t even get that message about going back to fill that in, just got a blank screen without a form for comments. I then went to your contact form and left you a message – did that one not come through? Or maybe it was a comment on your about page, but it seemed that it worked. Ah well, glad to see it works. Know you are loved!

2. Edward Mills on December 15th, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Barb

Thanks for coming back and trying again. Nope. The contact form isn’t working either. Not sure what’s up with that. Working on it!

3. Brian Wu on December 15th, 2007 1:12 pm

I love your site. It’s by far one of my favorites out of the many that are out there. The updates look fantastic. Keep up the great work!

4. Raymond on December 15th, 2007 10:26 pm

I can feel your relief when everything is back in place. What a shock for you. πŸ™‚

I know how hard it would be if the blog is not functioning properly. It sweats me too. πŸ˜‰

5. Lyman from Creating a Better Life on December 15th, 2007 11:28 pm

Wow… I wonder if you were writing this post while I was filling out your (non-working) contact form about your comments not working! LOL

So here it is again:

I LOVE the new look! Great job, Ed!

πŸ™‚

6. Aaron - Today is that Day on December 17th, 2007 5:53 am

Ed,

It is SO easy for those negative thoughts to creep back in, isn’t it? When that happens to me, I always remember that as the architect of my life, if I worry, or have fear and doubt, I’ll ATTRACT things to be worried, fearful, and doubtful about!

Great job on helping to spread the word about those types of feelings, Ed, and again, awesome job on the new look! πŸ™‚

7. Albert | UrbanMonk.Net on December 17th, 2007 8:34 pm

Very nice! Do you it’s possible to remove our fears altogether, so that even if you don’t get any comments or external approval, you won’t have those thoughts? I think it is possible, if we work on the level of emotions, underneath. I’m finding that working on the emotional level makes my thoughts more positive automatically.

Thanks for the fantastic article.

Cheers,
      Albert | UrbanMonk.Net
      Modern personal development, entwined with ancient spirituality.

8. Edward Mills on December 17th, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks Brian!

Raymond. You probably heard my sigh of relief!

Lyman: It’s quite possible. I was actually wondering if anyone was posting a comment while I was writing the post. Thanks for attempting to let me know. And thanks for the thumb’s up on the design. Appreciate it!

Aaron: You’re right on about that. And, of course, it’s sometimes easier said than done! But remembering it definitely does help. And thanks!

9. Shama Hyder on December 17th, 2007 10:37 pm

Ed,

I love the new look, and it seems you are getting more inspired by it as well! I love this post…I was just speaking about this topic on a radio interview today.

The host asked how do you deal with nagging fears? And I said…one day at a time..one thought at a time. I think you would agree!

-Shama

P.S.
      I couldn’t submit this comment directly by hitting the comments button. I had to view just this post separately in order to do so. I know you are working out the kinks with the new (and very cool) template, so I thought I’d let you know. = )

10. Edward Mills on December 17th, 2007 11:45 pm

Albert. I’m not sure if it’s possible to remove our fears completely. (Perhaps at a super high level of mastery it is possible). I do believe, however, that it’s possible to experience fear in a more productive way. For most of us – myself included – fear tends to be debilitating and paralyzing. What I’m working on is feeling the fear and doing it anyway, as the saying goes. To me fear is an indication that I am moving forward, growing, evolving. If I’m not feeling some fear, I’m probably getting a bit too comfortable in my comfort zone. The place I would really like to find, within me, is a space where I am aware of the fear but it is just another source of information not the powerful, paralyzing force it can, at time, become.

11. Edward Mills on December 17th, 2007 11:49 pm

Shama. Perfect! “One day at a time. One thought at a time.” I agree completely. One of the strategies that fear and other limiting thoughts utilize is getting us to focus on the future and/or the past. When we can stay present – one thought at a time – the fear loses one of its most powerful weapons!

And thanks for the head’s up on the comments. I’m still working on it. And that bit – when you click on one of the links to the comments section and the entire post disappears – is baffling me at the moment.

12. Jay, writer MemberSpeed.com on December 18th, 2007 8:49 am

It happens to the best of us. Honestly, I think it’s the cause of too much feeling. Too much excitement. Too much anticipation. Too much fear. Too much negativity. We are too focused on one specific area that we fail to recognize other factors that could possibly lead to a solution.

13. Edward Mills on December 18th, 2007 6:03 pm

Jay. It gets right back to that “presence” issue. If we can be present without being so attached to any one aspect of our experience, we can glide right through. It’s when we get focused on one area that leads us into trouble.

14. Relationship Compatibility on July 22nd, 2008 4:44 pm

It’s the mind / ego’s job, in the mode of self preservation, to conjure up worst case scenarios in order to help us be aware of possible dangers but just realizing that this is just the mind/ego doing its thing and dismissing the negative thoughts can help us get back into the moment and back into present time.

Even if there was actually a real problem instead of focusing on what’s wrong focusing on what solutions there might be will help attract more solutions instead of attracting more of the problem.