Does A Vision Board Need To Be About Stuff?

One of the participants at Saturday’s Vision Board workshop asked a great question. She noticed that most people were focused on finding images of things they wanted, places they would like to visit, money, etc., and she wondered if a vision board was only about stuff.

Short answer: Absolutely not!

A vision board that focuses on the stuff that you want to attract: a new car, a remodeled kitchen, more money, exotic trips, can be very powerful. But a board that focuses on intangibles such as feelings, beliefs, thoughts, vibrations, can be equally beneficial.

I’ve found that selecting images, words and phrases that evoke a feeling that you’re looking for can be an extremely powerful way to approach your vision board.

vision-board-center-08

And in fact, the vision board I just completed is all about the feeling/vibrational state I want to be in. The feeling space I see is one of belonging and being at home and at peace in the world. For me, everything flows from that experience.

When I’m in that feeling space I don’t need to set any intentions, my life flows far more gracefully than I could ever orchestrate. And when I’m not in that feeling space I can set a gazillion intentions and even think and feel positively about them without a whole lot of forward movement.

So, as you are creating your vision board, remember that it can be about things you want, or it can be about the feelings you want. And, of course, you can also combine the two. There are no hard and fast rules. Do what feels right and let yourself be surprised by the outcome!

And, in case you haven’t heard about the Vision Board 2008 Invitational, you have until Monday, January 14th to submit a link to your vision board and potentially win a great prize. But far more important than the prize is the powerful, positive effect creating a vision board will have on your world in 2008!

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

11 Responses to “Does A Vision Board Need To Be About Stuff?”

1. Louise Aspden on January 9th, 2008 3:13 pm

Thank you for reminding me how truly simple and powerful this can be! I will be submitting mine shorty.

With gratitude…

2. Edward Mills on January 9th, 2008 5:37 pm

Louise. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your vision board!

3. Tania on January 10th, 2008 6:00 am

I created my vision board about a year ago now with feelings… very powerful and also a reminder to me.
      ~Tania

4. Whole Living Today » Karmic Friday #2 on January 11th, 2008 4:48 am

[…] desires, financial freedom, law of attraction and relationships. Be sure to read this post about vision boards. A vision board is a terrific way to put your goals and dreams out to the universe as well as a […]

5. Raymond Chua on January 11th, 2008 3:03 am

Sometimes, I’ll just use words when I couldn’t find the pictures I want.

Catalog has become my best friend since I learned about vision board. 🙂

6. Sue on January 11th, 2008 9:50 am

I created a vision board about 6 months ago on a large canvas (20×24 or something) and hung it on a wall where I could see it every day. It’s called “Your Dreams Really Can Come True”. I have artistically broken it up into areas in my life that are important to me so it covers some “stuff” things but it also includes a happy, satisfying marriage and making new friends and hobbies I want to improve. In nearly every area, I have effortlessly improved (at least that is the feeling I have). I am truly amazed at the power of vision boards.

7. Edward Mills on January 11th, 2008 12:38 pm

Tania: You m might want to do a check in about your vision board to see if it’s time for an update. I create at least one a year, each focused on a specific intention or life area.

Raymond: I also like to use words and phrases on my vision boards. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but for me, a word is often worth a thousand pictures!

Sue: Wow. That’s big! I’d love to see a picture of it if you can post it somewhere. And it’s great to hear that you’ve seen your life improving since you created it.

8. Alex Liu on January 19th, 2008 6:53 pm

Very true. It’s not about just about material at all. I personally prefer intangible things more than tangible materials.

Alex Liu
      Success comes from Contributing Generously to others
      and Allow others to contribute to you,
      not contributing by expecting something back.

9. Sue on January 23rd, 2008 7:47 am

Ed,
      I will send you a digital photo of my vision board but it has some pictures of family and friends so I ask that you not post it online. It’s funny…my husband did one too and although we have some similar themes they look completely different. The appearance of our vision boards reflects our personalities. Another insight just by going through the process of putting them together.

I appreciate your blog entry regarding fulfilling promises so keep your eyes open for my board.

Sue

10. Edward Mills on January 25th, 2008 1:48 pm

Sue. I’ll look forward to seeing your Vision Board. And you’re so right about vision boards reflecting the personality of the creator. Like you, my wife and I have some similar visions, but our boards are quite different.

11. No More Vision Boards : Evolving Times on December 8th, 2009 12:08 pm

[…] me if a Vision Board needs to be about “stuff.” I answered the question in a blog post Does a Vision Board Need Be About Stuff. But the short answer is absolutely […]