Can Half A Million People Create A New Earth?

Last night’s historic webcast with Oprah and Eckhart Tolle attracted nearly 500,000 viewers. So many people, in fact, that for a lot of us, including myself, the webcast became unwatchable around 20-minutes into it. Here’s a press release from Harpo Productions with more details about the webcast.

If you were not able to view the webcast live, you can access the On Demand version Oprah’s New Earth Web Event here and download a video, MP3, watch a streaming version or grab a transcript of the show.

The workbook that accompanies chapter 1 has some excellent questions to consider based on the information in the book and from the webcast. But I’d like to use this space to explore some other aspects that were explored in the show last night as well as in the book. Watch for a post in a day or so with another topic for exploration.

But right now, let’s start with a question that Tolle poses while he is explaining the purpose of the book. He asks:

Is humanity ready for a transformation of consciousness, an inner flowering so radical and profound that compared to it the flowering of plants, no matter how beautiful, is only a pale reflection? … Is humanity more ready now than at the time of those early teachers [Jesus & Buddha]? … What can you do, if anything, to bring about or accelerate this inner shift?

A New Earth - Oprah and Eckhart TolleWhat do you think? Are we, as individuals and collectively, more ready for an inner flowering of consciousness? Do you, personally, feel ready for a radical and profound inner flowering? And, if so, how can we as individuals and collectively accelerate this process?

Leave your thoughts in the comments below and let’s begin exploring and expanding upon the world-changing ideas in this book!

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

12 Responses to “Can Half A Million People Create A New Earth?”

1. Becky Deans on March 5th, 2008 11:08 am

Yes I believe individually and collectively we are ready for a new consciousness. We have used and abused all forms of persuasion except love and light so I think people are ready for something new and once they feel the it, it will spread like wild fire!

2. Evolving Times Is Back Up | Evolving Times on March 5th, 2008 4:30 pm

[…] but most of the night and into this morning. So if you tried to come and leave a comment on the A New Earth post from yesterday, you probably were not able […]

3. Savina Cavallo on March 5th, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes, i truly believe that people in general are wanting a change, even if they don’t know how to go about it….but there is a feeling, an urging for something better, something more real. I believe this is the right time and moment, and we can see it by all the spiritual movements, books, movies, that are coming out, and that means there is an audience. The change has to first happen in our individual beings, and then spread out.

4. Hopeful Spirit on March 5th, 2008 11:41 pm

I am reading the book, participating in Oprah’s telecasts and will be writing about both. I am intrigued & was pleasantly surprised to hear that one of the first questions dealt with reconciling the philosophy set forth in the book with Christianity.

5. Edward Mills on March 6th, 2008 7:41 am

Becky: We certainly have used and abused many forms of persuasion. I wonder if it’s possible to “use and abuse” love and light. I think it may be. However, the beauty of this book is that it brings us all back to our source, to our essence, which could very easily be described as Love and light. Like the flower he describes and uses as a metaphor for our own blossoming.

Savina: I feel that urging as well. It is palpable, as if the air is charged with the collective desire for more meaning, depth and peace. The change is beginning with us as individuals. We see it right here and in the proliferation of blogs and websites devoted to personal awakening. It is wonderful to watch and to be a part of!

Hopeful: Yes, it is great that he came at this one head-on. No beating around the bush. And also, no beating up on Christianity or other organized religions. He’s just telling it like it is. The core message that Jesus brought to this world is beautiful and filled with the potential for peace and awakening. But you only need to look at the number of people who have been killed and wars that have been fought in his “name” to know that the original message was lost along the way.

6. Karen on March 7th, 2008 10:28 am

We must be ready to be conscious. We are at a critical point in our development as humans–in between discovering earth changing technology and learning how to deal with the dysfunction we all carry.

I think it is time to sink or swim. Evolve into consciousness or stop evolving altogether

7. Audie on March 7th, 2008 7:58 pm

Reading a book like “A New Earth” can get you asking yourself questions that you had never asked before.
      Everyone has heard that there is power in numbers. I think that if the power has to do with a “positive” it can be even more powerful.
      It could not hurt it could only help if we all could find the goodness within ourselves.

8. Edward Mills on March 7th, 2008 9:54 pm

Karen: I agree with you that we’re at a critical juncture in our evolutionary process. However, I’m not convinced that it’s quite as black and white as you make it out to be. We are always evolving. We can’t stop the evolutionary process although we certainly can put the brakes on! I think the question for which we are waiting to find out the answer is, “will enough of us choose to make our evolutionary process conscious?” If yes, then I believe we’ll tip the scale in the direction of positive, conscious evolution and counteract the drag of those who are intent on slowing down the process.

Audie: You’re right on. I just read Oprah’s email that over 1 million people have watched the recorded version of the webcast. That’s huge! If a million people are asking questions they have never asked, and coming to awareness they have never had, the net result has to be positive!

9. Personal Growth Resource Roundup #13 | Evolving Times on March 8th, 2008 9:10 am

[…] And after watching it, be sure to leave your comments and questions here. […]

10. Robin White on March 25th, 2008 3:39 pm

These books have been, for me, life and perspective changers.
      I have now read both “A New Earth” and “The power of Now” (Tolles’ first of the two books).
      I feel more alive than I ever have…and not just physically, but also spritiually and mentally. Things are finally feeling balanced and right, simply because I am starting to be able to acknowledge what is important and what really isn’t at all.
      When I started to “be aware” and actually pay attention to what my mind was thinking, I realized that it was true!…it had been my mind in control of me, and negativity had seeped in.
      I have always been one fo those people who experiences racing thoughts all throughout the day , at times becoming very distracting.
      I thought I was listening…but now that I know what TRUE listening is..I wasn’t
      I couldn’t “shut off my mind”. I can now.
      ….and it feels fantastic!
      As far as religion is concerned, I don’t think it is. What I mean by that is, Tolle talks about a few different “religions” but in my opinion, the intention was never to have religions in the first place. It’s not about a name that man, long ago, placed on a different groups of people to “establish” themselves as “seperate” of different from others, isn’t that right there the ipidimy of Egotism? I belive the whole point is ….God. And thats it.
      We are the “essence of God” or “God Essence” as Tolle refers to it. And that doesn’t need a name. It is what it is…and that’s all.
      God called by any name, is still God.

Thank you Eckhart Tolle, for opening my eyes.

11. Plushpod on July 25th, 2008 11:06 am

I just got A New Earth, so I’m really excited to start reading it. I am a big fan of Eckhart Tolle, he is a man of wisdom. I missed this event, but I think this type of thing can have a profound impact on people. It’s good to be open minded and embrace a cause like this, because this much positive energy can make changes.

12. Delores on August 25th, 2008 1:03 pm

THE PATH TO FREEDOM AND ENLIGHTENED LIVING

How do I get on the path to freedom and enlightened living?
      Through nonjudgement, nonresistant and nonattachment you will be giving

Nonjudgement of self, others, situations and things
      Enjoying the peace and harmony and all that it brings

Nonattachment to form, fleeting as they are
      Appreciate and gratitude for the moment that they are

Nonresistance to the is-ness of presence and now
      Accepting what is, creating calm in me, wow

Am I taking a personal stance with a person, place or thing?
      Judging or labeling others and situations, that’s ego’s inflating

Am I digging my heels in, not wanting change or this moment this way?
      Wanting something other than this moment, resisting is ego’s play

Is there something I’m clinging on to, I can’t let go?
      A thought, an emotion, or an object, do I really know?

When I’m stuck, scrambling or a little confused
      Which of the 3 aspects will I learn to use?

Through observing these aspects I will become aware
      Of how I can become freer from ego and it’s flair

Firstly, I am forgiving, or looking through ego where I can
      In myself, others, situations, emotions and reactions, oh man

For the gift in each moment is present to be
      Not thinking about all the things that have happened to me

– 2 –

For the future holds whatever this moment brings
      Moment by moment, adding peace and joy, to all things

Building your future this moment, this moment and this moment again
      By focusing on Being Present, happiness you will attain

Nonjudgement, nonattachment, and nonresistance is the key
      On the Path To Freedom and Enlightened Living for thee

….. Plant your flower …..

Building your future