No More Vision Boards

vision-board-03-wide

For the past 4-years I’ve led a New Year Vision Board Workshop in January. These events have always been a huge success. But this year I was questioning whether or not I would offer this popular event. Why?

Because I was questioning whether or not I wanted to encourage people to focus on how much more “stuff” they could attract into their lives in 2010.

Even though Vision Boards have been in use for a very long time, since the release of the movie, The Secret, they have come to be associated with the Law of Attraction. Because of that, when people create a Vision Board they almost always focus on what they want to ATTRACT into their life. They focus on what they want.

As I’ve been grappling with my relationship to Law of Attraction I find myself questioning the core message: Namely that focusing on your desires will lead you to a life of fulfillment, joy, love and abundance.

Now there is nothing wrong with desire, and this is not the time to get into a deeper discussion about the place of desire in the creation of a brilliant life. But without exception, every one of the Abundant Mystics (truly successful Modern Day Mystics) I’ve interviewed for the Abundant Mystic Teleseminar Series, have shared that a key to a life of fullfillment, joy and abundance is to focus on what you can CREATE and GIVE to the world.

The key is not what you can get, but what you can give.

The focus should not be what you can attract but what you can create.

During the 2008 Vision Board Workshop a participant asked me if a Vision Board needs to be about “stuff.” I answered the question in a blog post Does a Vision Board Need Be About Stuff. But the short answer is absolutely not.

vision-board-center-08

As my relationship to Law of Attraction has evolved, I have come to believe that one of the keys to succeeding with the Law of Attraction is, in fact, to take your focus OFF of what you want. It may sound counterintuitive. And it certainly flies in the face of many Law of Attraction teachings. But when you focus on what you can create and give to the world, your desires will take care of themselves.

Now let me be clear that by create I’m talking about what you can make. What can you build that has never existed before? What can you bring into the world of form that has previously existed only in the formless?

As a Deliberate Creator you are definitely “creating” your life when you attract a new car or a new home. But there is a deeper meaning to the phrase Deliberate Creation, a meaning that moves you from being an attractor to being a Creator.

You activate that deeper level when you create something out of nothing, when you bring something from a formless state into the world of form.

You are a unique expression of Source energy. You are a child of God. No one else in all the world – in fact, all the Universe – has the same combination of qualities, characteristics, skills, perception and abilities as you. And therefore you are uniquely qualified to create something that no one else can.

That is your job. This is the purpose you have come here, into this physical world, to embody. And so long as you continue to focus on “attracting” things that others have created, you will not find the fulfillment, joy and true abundance that is your birthright.

It is through the act of creation, true creation, that you awaken to that deep joy and activate your brilliance.

So at this year’s Vision Board Workshop we will shift the focus from what you will attract in 2010 to what you will create. Yes, you can still put the picture of the new car you will have. Yes you can still put images of the fabulous vacation you will take.

But you will also, and more importantly, have images of the book you will publish, the songs you will write, the blog you will launch, the business you will start, the relationships you will improve, the artwork you will create, the courses you will teach, the inventions you will prototype, the beauty you will bring to the world.

In short you will focus on how your presence in the world will make the world a better place. For when that is your focus the Universe can’t help itself: It must make YOUR personal world a better place!

So when you make your Vision Board for 2010 spend some time focusing on what you will create. Envision not just the “stuff” you want to attract, but also the stuff you will create.

And if you are in the Bay Area and want to join us for the 2010 Vision Board Workshop, go and get registered now. This event is sure to get your New Year off to a fun and intentional start!

(And if you register today – Tuesday December 8th – you’ll save $22!)

So go out and create. We are all waiting to see the unique blessings that you have to offer our world!

If you enjoyed this post you might also like...

9 Responses to “No More Vision Boards”

1. brad on December 9th, 2009 9:10 am

very wise post. thank you so much for the shift in perspective. that’s a good way to go with new vision boards.

namaste,

brad

2. Ellie Walsh on December 9th, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Ed….

There are many who inaccurately teach the Law of Attraction. I am reminded of this as I read your statement:
      “As I’ve been grappling with my relationship to Law of Attraction I find myself questioning the core message: Namely that focusing on your desires will lead you to a life of fulfillment, joy, love and abundance.”

The teachings of Abraham Hicks (who is in my opinion the only accurate teacher) has never taught this concept. The Law of Attraction simply states – Like attracts Like – Another way to say it is the Law of Attraction has a job description and that job description is to “match vibrations”

When we look beyond our physicality all any of us really want it to Feel Good (This is what Abraham teaches) Being physical humans we want things – because we believe in the attaining of those things we will Feel Good.

So… many teach about attaining things – And many people find the things aren’t showing up for them. Is that because the Law of Attraction doesn’t work? No not at all – LOA continues to do it’s job and it “matches vibrations” If the “things” are showing up it is because the vibration isn’t there…

Your statement “when you focus on what you can create and give to the world, your desires will take care of themselves.” Is also not 100% accurate! If you focus on creating and giving and are not Feeling Good. You won’t Feel Good and your desires, whether physical or emotional, will not show up!

The key is always (all ways) about Feeling Good – about making peace with what is going on and putting your attention on what you appreciate. For many people putting their intention into creating and giving back to the world – will absolutely make them Feel Good — hence their desires will indeed be taken care of.

It is the Law of Attraction at work! 😉

Have a Great Creation Workshop!
      Ellie

3. Edward Mills on December 11th, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Ellie
      Thanks for the great reply. And thanks for the correction – or expansion. You’re absolutely right that if you focus on creating and giving while feeling not so great, you’re going to get a whole lot of not so great results and stuff coming into your life.

The key point I was trying to make is that I don’t believe we as humans can ever feel completely fulfilled if we only focus on what we can get – no matter how good we feel while we’re focusing on them. I believe that we are here to explore our creativity and discover how much we can create and give to others and the world. And when we do that from a high vibrational space, I believe there is truly no limit to the good we can attract and experience in this life.
      Thanks again!

4. Sandy Murphey on December 12th, 2009 8:49 am

I agree with Ellie that Abraham’s core message has never been to just focus on what we want. However, I continually see people interpreting it this way, and in doing so, become discouraged with LOA.. I was kind of surprised to see that Ed was also misinterpreting the message.

But in doing so, he’s come to a new focus for the Vision Boards. I
      think this is a wise step, and one that will benefit participants much more than the “wanted” focus of the past.

It also increases the role of personal responsibility in switching the mindset from “what I want” to “what I offer”. This means looking ” inside” instead of looking out there.

I believe that we all have gifts to share, but until we discover what those are, they remain hidden from us and the world.

Hopefully the re-focused Vision Boards will facilitate this evolving inspiration, and participants will increase self knowledge and
      joy, as they discover how their unique creativity can enhance their lives and their world.

5. Sherri Frost on December 13th, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Edward, Your workshop sounds very enlightening. Most people don’t get what they want because they don’t really know what it is exactly. A vision board helps them to see it more clearly. I did a vision board workshop in Miami a few years ago and it was based on a Feng Shui concept. We divided our boards up according to the 9 Feng Shui areas of focus. That way our visions were in balance and not focused entirely on one thing.

6. Paula Grierson on December 16th, 2009 5:32 am

Hi Ed

Thanks for your revision of Law of Attraction Ed. It has really never really clicked in for me, praps too simplistic and your revision makes much more sense.

As far as Abraham is concerned that too I feel oversimplifies. ‘The important thing is that I feel good.’ Can be misapplied to “I feel good’ because I am having an affair with my friend’s husband? I have just spent a load of money on something which I don’t really want? I have just eaten the whole box of cookies?’

No, your new revision Ed takes account of Karma – it is by doing things of a ‘higher’ order, things done with kindness, empathy, generosity, gratitude, wisdom – that is weightier karma – and comes back to us as the fruits of our action.

Also the human condition does involve suffering for all of us at some point and we aren’t going to be able escape it. The value of suffering is that we realise everyone suffers so we can have compassion and connection with others. It is quite liberating to think ‘it’s not about happiness.’ Maybe we can remove the stress of feeling we should be happy.

But we will be happy if we are creative and this is the key I think too so lucky them on your Vision Board Day in the New Year.

Paula

7. KK on February 1st, 2010 4:22 pm

Can you offer a webinar on the Vision Board, for those of us who cannot attend it.

8. Edward Mills on February 21st, 2010 8:49 am

Great idea. I’ll have to think about how to do a Vision Board webinar. So much of the the workshop is about you doing the work right there. I’ll keep you posted!

9. lovetotravelll on April 22nd, 2010 8:29 pm

Once upon a time air travel was a great deal simpler than it is today. You called one of a few airlines that flew from your airport, the agent would tell you what flights were available for a given time, and you booked the one you wanted. Airports were always bustling places, especially during the holidays, but as long as you gave yourself adequate time, the process was usually the same. You would check your bags, go through the x-ray machine, get your boarding pass, and wait patiently at the appropriate gate. Once you got on the plane you ate the snack or meal that came with your flight and watched a movie.

In recent years travel by plane has become significantly more complicated. There are so many different configurations for flights and types of fares. Dire economic circumstances have caused airlines to raise rates and charge extra fees for everything from baggage to blankets. There are complex rules about what you can and cannot carry in your luggage. It can be very difficult to determine whether you are getting the best deal or the best services when you buy an airline ticket. The internet makes the navigation of airlines, airports, and flight itineraries easier, but, even so, be prepared to do some research if you want to find a flight at the best price.

Here is something up front that might save you time and money right off the bat. If you are traveling within the United States mainland, always look at Southwest Airlines first. Southwest is almost always the best deal you will find. However, Southwest itineraries do not appear on the major travel websites, so always go directly to the airline’s website for information. Plug in your travel plans, and you will get a list of all the flights that are available. Southwest typically charges more reasonable prices than other airlines, and there are no hidden fees. The price you see is the price you get although tax and the government fee that is attached to all flights does apply. For lower prices than you can probably get anywhere else look at the “web only” fares, but keep in mind that these fares are not refundable.

Useful tips for air tickets